• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NOLA-NYC - Finding Andouille Sausage

just moved up here to the big city from the big easy, was wondering if any of you city slickers could point me in the direction of getting some new orleans style andouille sausage so i can make some real food for my roomies ( all NO expats ). and if there is any source of camellia brand red kidney beans for purchase that would be great info as well

cest levee

You might try Ottomanelli & Sons meat market on Bleecker St. I got some of the genuine article there at one point but it's been a very long time.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

google, then call, salumeria belliase. they might have it. Also call: Balduchi's, Citarella, and Garden of Eden. Or call Mara's homeade (a NO restaurant) and ssee where they get theirs. Or order online. :biggrin:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

just moved up here to the big city from the big easy, was wondering if any of you city slickers could point me in the direction of getting some new orleans style andouille sausage so i can make some real food for my roomies ( all NO expats ). and if there is any source of camellia brand red kidney beans for purchase that would be great info as well

cest levee

d'artagnan makes some pretty decent andouille. you can find them at gourmet stores all over town (try dean & deluca, citarella, fairway, etc.). also, blue apron foods in park slope, brooklyn sells very good andouille hand made by a french guy named daniel. the wine bar where i work used to sell his pâté, but his workplace burned to the ground last month and i'm not sure whether he's back in business yet. i've used it in gumbo before with excellent results. then there is mail order from cajungrocer.com. in a pinch, i get real kielbasa from polish shops Eagle Provisons or Jubilat Provisions in brooklyn.

also, if you need tony cachère’s creole seasoning (my favorite for seasoning my creole stuff), they have it at zabar's (80th & broadway, manhattan). sorry, but the beans i haven't seen around here. my boss always picks up a couple of bags when he goes home to ponchatoula.

both Eagle and Blue Apron are shops you will enjoy making a trip to even if you do not live in Park Slope or the Borough of Brooklyn. délices and Euro-provisions galore!

in case you were wondering, my NO cred is paternal grandmother from charenton/bayou têche area and maternal folks from the texas gulf (brazosport, etc.).

welcome and good luck!

beth

Blue Apron Foods

814 Union St. @ 7th Ave.

Brooklyn, NY

(subway: F to 7th Ave. or R to Union St.)

718-230-7180

2nd location at 7th Ave. btwn 14th/15th Sts., also in Park Slope, Bklyn

Eagle Provisions

628 Fifth Ave. (18th St.)

Brooklyn, New York 11215

(subway: R to 18th St.)

(718) 499-0026

Jubilat Provisions

608 5th Ave

Brooklyn, NY 11215

(subway: R to 18th St.)

(718) 768-9676

Edited by bethala (log)

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

Just call up Jacob's Andouille in La Place or call Poche's in Breaux Bridge. They ship.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

okay i got my work cut out for, let it be known that a real french andouille, or in it's in diminutive is quite different from the southeast/acadiana style sausage. I am also aware that that i can get the stuff shipped to me, but that requires a lot of planning on my part, but if i did i would definitely go with either the manda meats brand, or creole country brand, if they would ship. Poches boudin is some of the best stuff on earth though, but it always tastes better eaten right outside their store piping hot squeezed out of it's casing betwixt ones teeth.

i am on the other hand gonna get someone to send me a bunch of camellia brand red beans so if anyone wants in holler at me. I have tried certian linguicas before as a sub for my jambalaya, and they kinda do the trick to build up intense sausage fond on the pan, but the real thing is what makes it work. If i win the lottery i will set up a little cajun/creole goods store up here and supply alla yall new yorkers with the good, but it is a game of chance.

so now, what about some good hogshead cheese?

thx boudreaux

Side note - as a former NOLA resident myself, I'll deliver the unfortunate news that there are NO good authentic restaurants here in the city. If you want good creole food you are going to have to make it yourself.

Side note - as a former NOLA resident myself, I'll deliver the unfortunate news that there are NO good authentic restaurants here in the city. If you want good creole food you are going to have to make it yourself.

i agree. don't be fooled. don't let anyone trick you into trying places, even if they say things like, "but this place is really good".

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

Brazoswood grad here. :biggrin:

google,  then call, salumeria belliase. they might have it. Also call: Balduchi's, Citarella, and Garden of Eden. Or call Mara's homeade (a NO restaurant) and ssee where they get theirs. Or order online.  :biggrin: