• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Really Big Shrimp

Tom G

I'm on a mission to grill some really big shrimp this weekend...like Mayan shrimp or Mozamiquan (sp?) shrimp...the kind that are like 4 to a pound...

And i can't find any in my local fish store...nor at whole foods...nor at citarella...

I'm not savvy on the best fish stores in town...

Any advice on who might carry such a thing?

And any advice on the best way to grill them once i find them?

I saw some monsters down in chinatown last weekend. I think they were on Catherine Street I think. Maybe under the Manhattan Bridge.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

call the various whole foods branches in manhattan, i've definitely bought what they call 'colossal' shrimp, that were 3 - 4 to a pound from them..  incredible on the grill..

Are they alive or dead?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Central Fish @ 9th Avenue and 39th Street has Colossal, very fresh (depending on the day you go) and a lot cheaper than anywhere else except maybe Chinatown...

The quality is a lot higher at Central Fish as well. For what it's worth, I like Sea Breeze in the same area a little better.

--

Yeah you know for some reason I was advised to go to Central by some of the other vendors on 9th. The Greek guy who runs the International spice market next door even told me to go down another block. They're a bit cheaper, and some of the cuzin there are characters, but Sea Breeze's retail seems to be buzzing more... do you think the quality is better up at 41st?