• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Frosting

LittleIsland

gallery_1672_3587_147954.jpg

I use this malted chocolate frosting on a malted chocolate banana cupcake recipe here:

http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=940

It swirls and pipes very well (I rushed the pic above and just spread it on with a knife), doesn't really set beyond a slight edge and holds well at room temperature, is a dark chocolate colour and not too sweet:

150g sugar

50ml water

150g dark chocolate

75g powdered sugar (replacing the malt powder in the original recipe)

To make the fudge 150g sugar with 50ml water in a saucepan and boil to a dark golden caramel. Add the cream and whisk until smooth then beat in the 150g chocolate and powdered sugar. Leave until cold then whisk until thick.

Edited by danlepard (log)

Well I have 6 bowls of chocolate frosting on the table right now waiting for my cousin to come over and help me taste-test  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Sounds like you have quite a chocolate party going there :laugh::biggrin: Can't wait to hear the results of the taste test.

And oh... for the instant jellly, you can get it at Phoon Huat or any of the baking shops.

What I have in mind:

- is dark (darker than milk chocolate)

- has a shiny finish

- has a pudding-like consistency but is slightly fluffy

- only the surface will semi-set upon sitting on the cake but inside will stay soft

- will hold swirls but not piping

- is able to stand at room temperature without melting down although it might soften slightly

- tastes very chocolatey and not like milk chocolate

- smooth, not grainy, heavy or dense

Ok, ganache fits most of the criteria you are looking for (if you use a slightly whipped ganache, that is). But whipped ganache does not set on the surface like you are describing, and when whipped, is not shiny.

I have a recipe you may want to try:

2 oz softened butter

7 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 cup cocoa powder (the darker the better)

apprx. 1/2 cup milk (or water)

12 oz cream cheese

In mixer, with whip, combine the softened butter, the powdered sugar and the milk. Whip it around a bit, it will seem kinda crumbly, but that's ok. Then add the cream cheese and whip til fluffy. Then add the cocoa powder, mix on low to combine, scrape down the bowl, and whip till fluffy. This is the point where you may want to add more milk or water (or even cream) to get it to just the right consistency you want.

This recipe fits all the criteria you state above.

I think it's pretty yummy too.

:biggrin:

This REALLY doesn't taste like a cream cheese icing, don't let the cream cheese fool you. The tang of the cream cheese offsets the sweetness of the sugar and enhances the dark chocolate taste you are looking for. Hope this works for you.

i love this recipe, :wub: i made it for one of my customers who is a big chocolate fan and she gave it high marks, actually her exact words were its the best chocolate icing she's ever tried.

• 1 year later...
Does the frosting you're looking for look like this....

I've been looking for the same kind of frosting.  These pictures were of a cake in the Philippines, but I don't think they use green bean flour there.  If I find something, I'll post it, but if anyone out there has a recipe for a frosting that looks like this, please post it!  I'd be forever grateful!

Hi all

I haven't been visting eGullet for a while, but have kept up the baking etc. and after more than a year, am back to trying to find my chocolate frosting again!

I found this online, and tried out 12 :shock: versions today... ummm still not there yet. So tomorrow I am going to have to go back to Renee's recipe and tweak from there.

But, Prasantrin, it might be something for you to start working from, in your search for the frosting from the Philippines. Maybe you could play with the amount of glucose (I used corn syrup, but a little less since it has a higher water content than glucose) for the gooey-ness.

Fudge frosting:

30g liquid glucose

60g butter

180g dairy whipping cream or double cream

340g cooking chocolate, chopped

1. Stir cream, glucose and butter over low heat until hot and well blended.

2. Add chopped chocolate and continue to heat until chocolate is melted.

3. Cool to spreading consistency.