• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rec's in London!

Haven't been to London in over a year and will be heading back in October. Having been to LTC, and Ramseys and various others over the years wanted to add a few new notches to my fork, so to speak.

I want to return to Ramseys ( is RHR location preferred?) and to visit St. Johns for the 1st time, and need to know what we can't miss. We only have four (4) nights and want to hit as many of the "must go's" as possible.

My wife and I both loved Ramseys and feel that St. John's is right up our alley.

Where do we go from there?

Appreciate your guidance in advance.

Cheers,

JFK

JFK

You don't say where you will be staying.

It looks like the higher end places are what you are after. St J's is not in that category, but is ( still ) in my opinion a must visit.

In the same area Club gascon is also a "must go' place

I hear that RHR is still good. I had a horrible experience at Claridges, but others have spoken better of it

Tante Claire remains excellent

Sheekey's ( part of the same group as the Ivy ) is one of those places that gets overlooked and should not. It is excellent.

I hear nothing but good things about Trompette although it would take something special to get me over to Chiswick

I can make my own first hand rec for Rhodes in The Square which is right at the top of the tree.

Of course, if you want to rough it, you can always join me at The Wenlock and then off to mangal for some Okabassi action. Ask Stellabella, it's good for what ails you colonials

hope this helps

S

One of the best bars in London, so no questions there.

You are not too far from The capital which is much discussed here. I hads a superb meal there in May.

l'oranger on St James is wonderful ( or was when I was there last year I have not been since then.)

The much discussed Locanda Locatelli has divided opinions on the board. I am in the "fan" camp. we had a great meal there and I admire Locatelli's passion. He has none of the cynicism of many of the others

Go to Embassy beFore Hollihead buggers off. That is also superb

Avoid all MPW places as if they had big signs saying "beware leprosy"

hope this helps

S

JFK -- Have you considered calling Waterside Inn to see whether Roux's Menu of Reflection can be made for you, despite your arrival at the restaurant after October 1? I should be able to report on the special 30th Anniversary collection of dishes at a later point in time. Also, if Gagnaire's collaboration, Sketch, has opened by October (the opening keeps on getting delayed, although current indications are September), it would make an interesting (though expensive) meal.

i have recently had first-rate meals at deca, la chaumiere and - sorry simon - marco pierre white's belvedere which has the added advantage of one of london's most glorious locations.

i second the locanda locatelli and embassy recs.

(simon - could you direct me to the thread where you outline your antipathy towards mpw? i seem to have missed it and am intrigued.)

(simon - could you direct me to the thread where you outline your antipathy towards mpw?  i seem to have missed it and am intrigued.)

I will not bore anyone with my reasons as I have vented my spleen on this man far too often and I am sure it is boring

I will happily PM you if you really want to know

S

Let's hear it for Sheekey's! Being a big fish lover (er, um??) I love sheekey's and even more so for the service. I went there a couple of months ago with friends and my daughter who is 4 and their daughters who are 1 and 5. The first thing the waiting staff did was bring over colouring pads and pencils, the head waiter then proceeded to sharpen all the pencils!. Food wise, their double chocolate souflle is to die for and their mushy peas are outstanding - it's not perfect but for sunday lunch with kids I wouldn't go anywhere else...plus you can actually get a table here unlike the Ivy.

Big problem is parking now they no longer do valet parking but that won't be a worry if you're staying in central London.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"