• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Adams Brewer Patriot Collection

dbrociner

Not yet- I know where there are a whole lot of 'em and I'm waiting for the price to go down :hmmm: .

Scuttlebutt isn't too positive, but sometimes you just gotta try something and see for yourself. It may indeed be right up my alley (I am reminded of things like an amaro and soda with a twist of orange peel, which I love but folks like my wife recoil in horror at.)

Please post back with your impressions when you try them.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Hard Root Beer!

The mind boggles.

I can't quite tell from the press release if the Ginger Honey Ale is a Ginger Ale (mead?) or a Ginger and Honey flavored beer.

I eagerly await your report.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Another write up from today's NYTimes, link.

Yes, I will report back. I've got some down time coming this weekend and with the 4th coming this seems like the perfect beverage.

The clerk at the liquor store said that the feedback on the rootbeer had been very positive.

I stumbled across this at the store yesterday and picked up a box. We tried all 4 tonight.

First, the dark wheat ale and root beer brew:

gallery_45959_3064_122283.jpg

The wheat ale was quite good, but not spectacular. I thought it was pretty well balanced, with a touch of acidity.

My husband really liked the root beer brew; I thought it was a bit too sweet. It definitely smells like root beer, and is quite spicy and herbal.

Here's the George Washington porter and the ginger honey ale:

gallery_45959_3064_92683.jpg

I think the porter may be my favorite. It's dark with coffee/chocolate flavors, with a nice bitterness.

The ginger honey was pretty good too...very strong ginger flavor, but not too sweet.

Say, those look yummy! :cool: Must find some before the 4th, so I can have a nice patriotic brew while endeavoring not to blow my fingers off lighting fireworks. (Yes, I know that alcohol and explosives don't mix -- I'm ever so careful, but it's thirsty work.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

• 1 month later...

I also stumbled across this collection today at my local supermarket. It was trying to avoid being bought by anyone, perched as it was on the top shelf of an end cap of the wine section. I'll contribute my 999 cents (plus deposit) after it's been suitably tested.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Having completed my patriotic duty, here's my report:

Dark Wheat Ale: Well crafted, smooth, not at all heavy, but, as the NYT said, rather one-dimensional. Good, but not worth $2.50/bottle.

GW Porter: Coffee, malt, a bit of chocolate and molasses. Nice, but again, not worth the price.

Root Beer Brew: The NYT loved it; I though it was just weird. I'm a root beer fan, but this had too little sassafras and too much other flavorings. Wintergreen? Bleh.

Ginger Honey Ale: My favorite of the bunch. Light, refreshing, just enough ginger, only a touch of sweetness. A great summer drink. I'd easily buy it again, but only w/o the others.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer