• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fictional Characters and Their Foods

rich

Charles Dickens' books are full of wonderful food scenes, dialogues, images.

There is a book of modernised recipes based on or inspired by passages from his stories - "Mr Pickwick's plentiful portions : the Charles Dickens' cookbook for today by Brenda Marshall"

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Can anyone read about the Christmas feast at Mole's house in The Wind in the Willows and not want to belly up to the table with all the little caroling mice and Ratty and Mole??

There is a whole genre of mystery/food books also. Unfortunately, most of the ones that I have read are not terribly well written. On the up side, I have gotten some pretty good recipes from them :wink:!

Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld who served the rest of the gang gourmet food prepared in his shower while he showered..................

Jerry Seinfeld and his never ending supply of cereal................

The hard luck restaurant owner (bad location); I think his name was Babu(?)........

Kramer, while observing an operation, accidentally dropping a Junior Mint into the open body cavity of the patient.............

So many of their food related episodes always seemed to end badly.

As a matter of fact, the link below demonstrates a pretty healthy list of food-related Seinfeld episodes.

Seinfeld Show and Food

And Superman appeared on every Seinfeld episode - thus we come full circle.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Jonathan Swift - Irish Babies

Uh, Jonathan Swift wasn't fictional.

Zaphod Beeblebrox and the Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster

Edit to add

Tom Swift and His Space Solartron! http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/solartrn.html

To accomplish this astounding feat, Tom must perfect his latest invention, the matter maker, which will be essential for life on the moon. Not only must this amazing solartron manufacture oxygen and fuel, but also food and other materials in sufficient quantity to support the moon pioneers for some time.
Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Edward Delaney, the fictional detective of Lawrence Sanders is well known for eating his sandwiches over the sink or over newspaper depending on whether they were wet or dry. I learned to rethink what can be put together between slices of bread by reading his books as a lad.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books will recognize the universal salesman, Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler. He serves sausages and other meat products (often with identifiable meat from named animals) inna bun. Well, sometimes they're onna stick. Are they good? Sir, you will never wish to have another.

Commander Samuel Vimes is positive that the food groups consist of tea boiled in a boot and fried food with extra burned crunchy brown bits. Of course dwarves are fond of their rat (with ketchup), trolls enjoy their calcaracious sedimentary formations, vampires are... well, vampires, and The Luggage is an indiscriminate omnivore. Rage will digest anything, apparently, if it marinates inside sapient pearwood long enough.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Bertie Wooster and his breakfasts- with bacon "taken no doubt, from contented pigs".

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Sesame Street & The Muppet Show yet!!

- Cookie Monster and his cookies (he always ate the plate too!), which are now a "sometimes" food

- the restaurant sketch: "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!"

- Oscar and his garbage

- the Swedish chef (although I don't remember a single thing he cooked - it seemed like he threw everything in the air)

In other cartoons...

- Gummi Bears

- Animaniacs & their many food-related adventures (especially picnics!)

Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld who served the rest of the gang gourmet food prepared in his shower while he showered..................

The hard luck restaurant owner (bad location); I think his name was Babu(?)........

Kramer, while observing an operation, accidentally dropping a Junior Mint into the open body cavity of the patient.............

Marble rye, anyone? :laugh:

No soup for you!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Marble rye, anyone? :laugh:

No soup for you!

Chocolate Babka....mmmmm!!!

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Then there is the monster, Grendel, here from a translation of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem:

The cruel creature laughed in his murderous mind, thinking how many?now living would die before the day dawned, how glutted with gore he would guzzle his fill…For his first feat he suddenly seized a sleeping soldier, slashed at the flesh, bit through bones and lapped up the blood, greedily gorging on gigantic gobbets.? Swiftly he swallowed those lifeless limbs, hands and feet whole…

Beowulf

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I always did think those two characters were named backward---Grendel conjures heroic shoulders, brave character, kind eyes, chivalry---Grennnnnndel---a name to savor.

Beowulf sounds like a hairy monster which can't sneak up, cause it smells bad.

Harry Potter and company sitting down to an empty table which magically fills with crystal flagons of Pumpkin Juice and all manner of delights after the welcome and announcements. Not to mention Buckbeak's diet of floppy ferrets. (Sorry, SLK!)

All that magical Chocolat. The charming picnics of Heckle and Jeckle, with a real picnic basket spilling forth a ham, a bottle of wine, and fruit. Always. I could not GET my Mom to pack that when we went on a picnic. We always had sandwiches and fried chicken.

Woody Woodpecker's Trees?

Little Endians, Big Endians: Eggs.

Jim Hawkins: Hardtack, salt beef, fish.

Elmer Fudd: Wishful Wabbit.