• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fictional Characters and Their Foods

rich

I just recalled - one of TV's great food fights occurred in the TAOS episode "My Friend Superman."

Lilija - you mentioned the movie paid tribute to the original movie - anything about George Reeves and TAOS? I know Jack Larson (TV's Jimmy Olsen) played a bartender and mixed a great Manhattan and Noel Neill (the original serial Lois Lane and TV's second) played a wealthy woman who died, but any other reference?

No great food scenes - that's shame Clark was always a gourmand, but never drank wine, beer or liquor.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I just recalled - one of TV's great food fights occurred in the TAOS episode "My Friend Superman."

Lilija - you mentioned the movie paid tribute to the original movie - anything about George Reeves and TAOS? I know Jack Larson (TV's Jimmy Olsen) played a bartender and mixed a great Manhattan and Noel Neill (the original serial Lois Lane and TV's second) played a wealthy woman who died, but any other reference?

No great food scenes - that's shame Clark was always a gourmand, but never drank wine, beer or liquor.

Honestly, I'm not very familiar with TAOS, enough to pick up any references. What I mainly meant was, the movie was well done, in the style of the Superman movie, and sequels. I wouldn't be suprised if there were little veiled references here and there, about the old George Reeves' Superman. There were plenty of references to the older movies.

And Samantha Carter, Stargate SG-1, is always seen eating the Blue Jello, even in the disrupted timeline in Season 8, as well as most of the other seasons too.

And Teal'c, when asked if he would like a glass of cold milk replies "I would not enjoy bovine lactose secretions at any temperature". He did like his fruit though!

doc

Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy always were fond of their Romulan Ale.

And, who can forget the Samurai Chef from Saturday Night Live?

Miracle Max in "The Princess Bride" extolled the virtues of M.L.T. sandwiches, AND was a chocolatier.

Grimes in Blackhawk Down (the movie was enough of a fiction) always was talking about how coffee is "all about the grinds..."

And, last but not least in this episode, in "Return of the Jedi", the Sand Creature just about ate Han Solo. How can you get more Food-like than Han Solo?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

And, who can forget the Samurai Chef from Saturday Night Live?

Miracle Max in "The Princess Bride" extolled the virtues of M.L.T. sandwiches, AND was a chocolatier.

Grimes in Blackhawk Down (the movie was enough of a fiction) always was talking about how coffee is "all about the grinds..."

And, last but not least in this episode, in "Return of the Jedi", the Sand Creature just about ate Han Solo.  How can you get more Food-like than Han Solo?

Mmm...Han Solo. Yum. I'd be tempted to eat him too.

Mmm...Han Solo.  Yum. I'd be tempted to eat him too.

Sometimes no comment is necessary :wink:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I love how food and eating is an integral part of the Patrick O'Brian books, but one of my childhood recollections might be recognised by fans of British comics - Desperate Dan and Cow Pie! That's a pie with a cow in it - with horns poking out through the pastry lid!

Mr. Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls.  He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzrds, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencod's roes.  Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.
--James Joyce, Ulysses

".....mmmmhhhh.....fried hencod's roe....." -Homer Simpson, The Simpsons :laugh:

My brother and I both liked Paddington Bear when we were growing up and I was always mystified by his peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches, not quite knowing what "marmalade" was ("It's like jelly" was all I could get when asked). Then once we were staying with friends and I was excited to see that they had both peanut butter and marmalade in their pantry and whipped up a sandwich for myself one day when no one was around and, well . . . I learned that his craving for these sandwiches was supposed to be weird.

eric cartman, lover of pot pies, cheesy poofs and the swiss colony beef log.

"no kitty that's my pot pie! that's a bad kitty!"

Oooh... oooh... cosmic leap to Sweeney Todd, "the demon barber of Fleet Street." I can visualize Angela Lansbury now. :cool:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Let us not let page 2 go by before we mention Hobbits and their love of mushrooms (amongst many other things, of course).

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld who served the rest of the gang gourmet food prepared in his shower while he showered..................

Jerry Seinfeld and his never ending supply of cereal................

The hard luck restaurant owner (bad location); I think his name was Babu(?)........

Kramer, while observing an operation, accidentally dropping a Junior Mint into the open body cavity of the patient.............

So many of their food related episodes always seemed to end badly.

As a matter of fact, the link below demonstrates a pretty healthy list of food-related Seinfeld episodes.

Seinfeld Show and Food

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I think I was permanently warped as a child by all the mentions of food in the Little House series. I thought nothing could be better than to have all that food in the attic and cellar and to be snowed in for the winter!

I also remember the Turkish Delight from Narnia books. It especially intrigued me since I didn't know what it was.

Green Eggs and Ham--I always wanted to try green eggs. And who was the little girl who ate too many jam tarts and got a stomach ache? Then there was Francis with her bread and jam. The Little Red Hen made bread. Oh yeah, Pecos Bill with his griddle so large that the cook had to skate on it with fatback strapped to his feet to grease it.

And of course Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the best book ever for a kid foodie.

Also from The Original Star Trek:

Scottie and his love of Scotch (scotch is a food, isn't it?).

Monster masquerading as a long lost love of Dr. McCoy who enjoyed sucking the salt from her human victims right through their pores.

Mr. Spock, a dedicated vegetarian.

From Star Trek: The Next Generation:

The Klingon, Lt. Worf and his love of prune juice and blood wine, but not at the same time.

Captain Jean Luc Picard to the replicator: "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!"

Counselor Troy and her chocolate obsession.

From Star Trek Deep Space Nine:

Commander Sisco and his devotion to all things Cajun.

Dr. Bashir and his love of Gaaaaaack (living, squirming Klingon Delicacies).

Oh Dear Lord.................. I'm a Trekkie! :shock::biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

a classic food-related exchange:

Mrs. Murphy: Help you two?

Elwood: Do you have any white bread ma'am?

Mrs. Murphy: Yeah.

Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.

Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that, honey?

Elwood: No ma'am, dry.

Jake: Do you have any fried chicken ma'am?

Mrs. Murphy: Best damned chicken in the state.

Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.

Mrs. Murphy: You want chicken wings or chicken legs?

Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.

Elwood: And some dry white toast please.

Mrs. Murphy: Ya'all want anything to drink with that?

Elwood: No ma'am.

Jake: A Coke.

Mrs. Murphy: Be right back.

and for those of you who have no idea what this is from, please run to blockbuster and rent the blues brothers.

aa Milne, When We Were Very Young

The King asked

The Queen

The queen asked

The dairymaid

"Could we have some butter for

The Royal slice of bread?"

What is the matter with Mary Jane?

She is crying with all her might and main,

And she won't eat her dinner - rice pudding - again

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

"There's cold chicken inside it," the Rat replied.

"coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinsalad

frenchrollscresssandwichespottedmeatginger

beerlemonadesodawater-"

Sorry a little slow posting, got reading these poems and stories after so long,

took me right back to childhood for a while.