• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

comptoir gascon -- hard to beat

I have to say it, the Comptoir Gascon is one of the best foody restaurants in London. Presentation and decor is basic, straightforward, simple even but the cooking is superb. Classic Bordeaux cuisine and every day the specials astound and delight. Once again today at lunch I was more than impressed, I was delighted and so were my guests.

I eat out an awful lot, and I don't have to pay (advertising agency w***ker) so I have no axe to grind or logs to roll.

Comptoir is fabulous for all those who know their food and aren't easily impressed by surface over substance.

S

I have to say it, the Comptoir Gascon is one of the best foody restaurants in London. Presentation and decor is basic, straightforward, simple even but the cooking is superb. Classic Bordeaux cuisine and every day the specials astound and delight. Once again today at lunch I was more than impressed, I was delighted and so were my guests.

I eat out an awful lot, and I don't have to pay (advertising agency w***ker) so I have no axe to grind or logs to roll.

Comptoir is fabulous for all those who know their food and aren't easily impressed by surface over substance.

S

Loved the old multi-purpose-patisserie-boulangerie-traiteur-chocolatier shop selection

Now unfortunately lobotomised since the refurb.

Wouldn't be surprised at the food - the takeout was pretty nice in its day

J

PS surely Gascon cuisine rather than Bordelais?

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Agree that the food is superb, at that price range. We ate there a few weeks ago and had grilled duck breast, which was perfectly cooked and full of flavour. To start we shared the cream cheese pot, which was rather like tsatziki on steroids. Ultra creamy, loads of garlic, but not quite enough toast for two greedy people.

The wine list is a bit of a challenge. All local producers and mostly unidentifiable appelations, and the waiters aren't very good at recommending a very dry white. The only wine I recognised was the Madiran, so will have to go back again and try it with some steak.

Plus, the tables are about 2" too low and quite small; it's rather like eating off a coffee table.

However, minor gripes when set against the quality of the ingredients and the cooking.

Sarah

edited for typo

Edited by battleofthebulge (log)

Sarah

Plus, the tables are about 2" too low and quite small; it's rather like eating off a coffee table.

Yes they actually are brasserie tables I think, not dining tables, at Comptoir. Adds to the charm? Mind you at galvin at windows I had the sensation that the tables were just a bit too high, but there it was the fault of the chairs which were like mini armchairs.

Gascon cooking not Bordelaise? Oooh I suppose so, but all that duck fat reminds me of blowouts in Bordeaux. Those mecs on stilts in the picture on the wall must have to use strong wood to support them, especially after a cassoulet

s

Edited by sunbeam (log)

• 1 year later...

Had a disappointing cassoulet at Comptoir on Wednesday. Had previously been for brunch, and had high hopes.

On the positive front, the coffee was outstanding.

But the cassoulet looked, felt and tasted like it had been kept in the oven (or under a lamp) too long - sauce reduced down to nothing, slightly shrivelled beans, dry duck. Another oddity: the single slice of bacon was cut incredibly thin - actually transparent - and was on top of the cassoulet, rather than integral to it. Basic flavour was good, but this was not what I understand a cassoulet to be.

Not quite sure why I didn't send it back.

Has anyone else been recently? Could it just have been a one-off?