• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quail Eggs

maryeats

Today I purchased some raw quail eggs at the market and I'm wondering what to do with them and how long they keep.

In the natto thread, there are many suggestions for rice, natto, and a raw quail's egg broken over the top.

In Korea, they are sometimes hardboiled and marinated in soy sauce then eaten as a side dish.

Any other suggestions?

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com

In Bolivia they serve a hard boiled quail egg in their empanadas. They are just the right size.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Raw quail eggs can be used in a variety of ways, usually just the yolk though. You will see them with certain types of sushi/sashimi and they are also great when added to the noodle dipping sauce.

Hard boiled they can be used anywhere a regular egg would be used and are wonderful for bentos.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

here are some recent dishes that you can use raw quail egg in:

squid sashimi with some seasoned soy sauce and nori (laver)

gallery_6134_1960_8305.jpg

Korean yukhwe, normally made with raw beef my version was made with raw horse meat

gallery_6134_119_22348.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"