• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! looking for Micro Greens

Do any of my fellow Vancouver Island Chefs know where I can purchase Micro Greens? My usuall supplier has been having difficulties in getting a consistant product. Short of growing them myself, I'm at wits end.

TIA

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Do any of my fellow Vancouver Island Chefs know where I can purchase Micro Greens? My usuall supplier has been having difficulties in getting a consistant product. Short of growing them myself, I'm at wits end.

TIA

Colin

I'd try Barnston Island Herbs. They have a good selection of micro greens by the tray. I think they run between $20-30/tray. They deliver to the island once a week. Wednesday I think.

There is also Gavin the herb and flower guy ... he can be a little mysterious and hard to find, but he comes twice a week with the *best* flowers, herbs and greens I've seen.

-- Matt.

Edited by Matt R. (log)

Thanks Matt, I was thinking of Barnston, thats who I used when I was on the mainland, I'll have to check and see if they come this far north.

Gavin the herb guy sounds a lot like Anthony the veggie guy

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

TIA

Colin

You need to get connected and I'm here to help.

You are a lot closer to the Cowichan Valley than Victoria, aren't you? First off, I would ask Chef Christophe Letard at the Aeriewho his suppliers are for greens. also Providence Farm supplies a lot of your area restaurants with produce.

Providence farm

And if you can make it down to the Saturday Duncan Farmer's Market, you will most likely connect up with a lot of other area farmers that would be more than happy to supply you with produce.

Another valuable source of info would be Mara Jernigan at Fairburn Farm where they have the waterbuffalo.

Fairburn Farm She knows everybody.

And if you don't already know Lyle at Cowichan Bay Farm, you need to.The most amazing chicken and duck Their website is being revised but their address and phone number is there.

Have a great summer.

Thanks Shelora, sometimes I feel like I'm in a culinary void up here, could just be the fact that I work so much and don't get the chance to network.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

What about Nanoose Edibles? They are really close to you.

Nanoose Edibles Farm. Contact person:. Barbara and Lorne Ebell. Address:. RR2, Box 38, 1960A Stewart Road, Nanoose Bay BC V9P9E7. Phone number. 468-2332 ...

We used to use them but their product was a little too pricey for our guests as well they were not willing to grow micro greens for me, although they may have changed their mind this season as they become more popular with restaraunts.

I currently pay $67 a lb for micro greens, a very inconsistant product that is returned to the supplier more often than accepted, I went out today and bought supplies to grow my own, we'll see how that works.

Shelora, thanks for the PM, I will definetly give him a call.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef