• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top London Restaurant...?

My wife and I will be in London for a short stay, and as we're both into great food and wine, I would like to treat her to a top restaurant on the Saturday night we're there in September. I understand that Gordon Ramsay at RHR is not open on Saturdays, otherwise, that would have been my first choice. Should I go with Gordon Ramsay Claridges (how good is that location in comparison?) or is there some place else with fabulous food that I should consider, instead?

In the best traditions of this board:

Not the Capital :raz:

I'd hesitate to recommend it a a great restaurant any more although Andy Fenn may disagree :rolleyes:

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!

Having said that I struggle to recommend any high end dining ventures in London now from an excitement point of view. The Square offers good solid cooking and a meal at Aubergine just before Christmas was outstanding, if you can make a short trip out of London try and get to the Fat Duck.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Having said that I struggle to recommend any high end dining ventures in London now from an excitement point of view. The Square offers good solid cooking and a meal at Aubergine just before Christmas was outstanding, if you can make a short trip out of London try and get to the Fat Duck.

It might be possible to arrange transportation to get to Fat Duck, but I had been under the impression that the food - while quite interesting - was a disappointment from the taste standpoint.

I'm sorry to hear there isn't much excitement about places right now - I was really looking forward to a great dining experience for my wife and myself. Are there any other thoughts, please?

I'd hesitate to recommend it a a great restaurant any more although Andy Fenn may disagree

I do bollock on about the Capital, don't I? But I think it is more of a standout as a lunchtime weekend option, as there aren't many options around. Although the white onion veloute I had there is probably the best thing I've eaten this year. The rest of the a la carte didn't live up to the starter.

I would agree with Matt - do the Duck. That delivered everything for me - innovation, flavour, precision and sense of humour. Fantastic place.

It might be possible to arrange transportation to get to Fat Duck, but I had been under the impression that the food - while quite interesting - was a disappointment from the taste standpoint.

I'm sorry to hear there isn't much excitement about places right now - I was really looking forward to a great dining experience for my wife and myself. Are there any other thoughts, please?

The Fat Duck is very divisive of opinion but it does provide a different eating experience to most, it is rated as 3 Michelin Stars and whatever your thoughts on it it will provide an interesting meal.

If you wanted Ramsay at RHR you would have to book July 1st anyway, and it's a nightmare process. Easier to get tickets for a Beatles reunion concert featuring Frank Sinatra as guest vocalist.

S

Good grief... Just when I decided to give Fat Duck a shot, one of my so-called friends/colleagues who will also be in town has decided to leech onto our evening and join us. Aside from demoting this from a date with my lovely wife, this new change adds another layer of complexity: this guy refuses to eat anything fun! NOTHING from the sea, no lamb, no foie or the like (you get the picture). He's basically a meat, poultry, fruit & veggie, and bread guy.

While most restaurants would probably graciously make a substitution here or there for his quirkiness (if given advance notice) while my wife and I enjoy the good stuff, I can't see how Fat Duck could possibly work for him. (Why I'm going to such effort for him to be happy after this turn of events, I don't know. I must be a really good friend, huh?)

So, kind souls, how do I salvage this for us? Where do you suggest we go, please?

Good grief...  Just when I decided to give Fat Duck a shot, one of my so-called friends/colleagues who will also be in town has decided to leech onto our evening and join us.  Aside from demoting this from a date with my lovely wife, this new change adds another layer of complexity: this guy refuses to eat anything fun!  NOTHING from the sea, no lamb, no foie or the like (you get the picture).  He's basically a meat, poultry, fruit & veggie, and bread guy.

While most restaurants would probably graciously make a substitution here or there for his quirkiness (if given advance notice) while my wife and I enjoy the good stuff, I can't see how Fat Duck could possibly work for him.  (Why I'm going to such effort for him to be happy after this turn of events, I don't know.  I must be a really good friend, huh?)

So, kind souls, how do I salvage this for us?  Where do you suggest we go, please?

Harvester

Harvester

That's just mean. Naturally, I'd rather the friend suffer than my wife and myself...

Matt's right. Your mate obviously has no appreciation of fine food, so whats the point of wasting the money? Send him to Mc D's, and you and the missus go elsewhere.

Foliage was nice a few weeks back.

The Capital has dropped off my radar after an appalling meal earlier this year.

You could possibly keep your mate satisfied at The Ivy.

You'll find almost every haute joint has a variation on steak and potatoes for precisely this eventuality, so you should be fine almost anywhere, with the exception of Lecture Room ro Fat Duck.

Think about the Wolesley. It doesn't meet the criteria for fabulous or starry food, but if you want an object lesson in how to to run a slick front of house and satisfy both volume and quality its hard to beat.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

So, kind souls, how do I salvage this for us? 

Promise to give your friend a lift to the fat duck and 'accidentally' forget to meet him. And don't forget to turn your mobile off.

It is definitely not a place for people who are funny about their food.

I had an absolutely outstanding meal at the The Greenhouse in Mayfair recently. Antonin Bonnet who has recently taken over the stoves is a serious talent who really knows his stuff, both in terms of technique and flavours. Some of the plating reflects his four years with Michel Bras and maybe the flavours do as well although I haven't eaten at Bras so I couldn't say. The restaurant must be in the top 5 haute cuisine in London. A beautiful, luxurious room with prices to match.

Andy, has the food changed much since Thingimy von Thingymejig left?

Yes. I think Bjorn van der Ivor (say it quickly) is a great cook but if there was one fault with the my meal at The Greenhouse when he was there it was that his food could tend to be on the sweet side. Bonnet doesn't suffer from that particular problem. In my opinion, the food is now even more technically accomplished, the flavours even more clear and refined and the presentation just stunning.

I had lunch at the Greenhouse last week and wasn't bowled over. Melon soup or spaghetti with tomato sauce for starters... I had the pasta and it was fine, but not great. The melon soup was actually the best thing we had - beautiful mozarella dotted around. Main was pork chop. Again, it was fine, but nothing special. Perhaps I need to try the a la carte to get the full on experience.

Matt, any chance of you organising a 50% off first week offer with Bjorn van der Thingumey? I'm getting quite excited about the opening...

St John, either the two which have been about, or the new one near Les Trois Garcons. Come to think of it, Les Trois Garcons!

The Fat Duck is very divisive of opinion but it does provide a different eating experience to most, it is rated as 3 Michelin Stars and whatever your thoughts on it it will provide an interesting meal.

Mr Grant,

Have been out of town, so lethargic the reply.

I have to chuckle at 'you can't be serious'.

Have you been lately?

Worth it.

Come to think of it, Les Trois Garcons!

In my best John McEnroe voice: You can't be serious!? :shock:

If I may, new chef at the pass as of May, give it another go. Love to hear your opinion.

Thoughts on Maze re service?-for a different thread, perhaps?

I went around 6 months a go, it wouldn't even come close to being a "top London restaurant". OK for a fun night.