• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for using Italian Fontina in Recipes?

jturn00

Just made a butternut squash, pasta casserole from Susan Spungen's book, Recipes. That used a half pound of fontina. Any similar pasta casserole of your liking could be a good place to try some fontina. I also use it on pizzas on the grill or calzones.

P.S. The cookbook is becoming one of my favorites.

sometimes I will use it in a baked macaroni...yummy

Yes, its excellent in pasta dishes with cheese sauces.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The classical thing would be to make fonduta valdostana with that, which you could eat as a classic fondue or use as a sauce with pasta, gnocchi or vegetables. A bit heavy for summer though, and you'll need quite a bit of cheese. Clearly you could just grate it as the others suggested.

When I have only a little left, I use it to make pan fried chicken breasts with a white wine and porcini sauce, covered at the end with fontina slices and quickly broiled just get the cheese melting.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

A variation on Albiston's suggestion (from Craig Claiborne) - saute chicken breast halves in clarified butter until barely done, cover with thin sliced fontina and sauteed cremini mushroom slices seasoned with just a hint of nutmeg, or if you can get them, very thin slices of truffle. Slide under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese and heat through. Serve with buttered spinach and a balsamic vinagrette salad.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes