• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGCI Demo: Chicken Soup

Pam R

Michelle - are you using soup/mature chicken or something younger?

I have used fryer/broiler/younger legs and had them come out not-so-dry, but I have never used a boiling fowl that didn't get dry while cooking. And yes, the wings will be less dry than the legs/breasts.

Just another multi-cultural suggestion for "used" chicken from the soup...last time I used the chicken meat (shredded) for enchiladas. With all the chiles, sauce, etc., lack of "chicken" flavor not much of an issue.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Michelle - are you using soup/mature chicken or something younger?

I have used fryer/broiler/younger legs and had them come out not-so-dry, but I have never used a boiling fowl that didn't get dry while cooking.  And yes, the wings will be less dry than the legs/breasts.

A hen is definitely tough. I know it makes really good soup, but I have never really liked hen. And, they are more expensive here. They are probably expensive in Winnipeg, too.

I prefer to use a large fryer (#3) to make my soup. That way I know that the meat will be tender. We really like chicken meat in our chicken soup.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

• 11 months later...
Wings are also less expensive than legs.

In my area, I can always find legs/thighs on sale for $.99/lb., but can't get wings for less than $1.99/lb.

Same, here, just down the coast in SLO. I hear and read frequently that wings are cheaper, but that is never the case in our area. The cheapest cut here consistently is the hind quarter--leg+thigh.

Your chicken soup looks delicious........I just hope that the paring knife hiding below the surface in photograph number 3 [ Add water ] wasn’t there when it came time to be served :biggrin:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Ha! It does look like a knife, but it's just a reflection from the light above.

I made another pot on Sunday - still one of the best things to make on a cold winter day.

I've never left the skins on, but I know that lots of people do.

I've never given the colour a lot of thought, but I am sure that more carrots in the pot will add colour (and a little sweetness). It's important to skim all of the grey scum off as it foams up, and as it simmers gently and reduces, the yellow colour intensifies.