• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You might be a cocktail snob/geek if...

mbanu

You might be a cocktail snob if..

You've been eyeing the Mai Tai (Hawaiian Style), but hadn't decided to crack open your bottle of Lemon Hart and try it until John said it was good..

John, I had been looking at it, but I wasn't sure about the orange juice and pineapple juice. I'll have to try it though, as well as the Mai Tai swizzle if I can get my hands on some falernum. I think sourcing all of the syrups and infusions is going to be the main sticking point in giving all these Tiki cocktails a try. That, and finding a reliable way to crush ice..

Ooh, I thought of another one..

..if you keep a canvas bag and giant wooden mallet in your kitchen for the sole purpose of crushing ice, and are confused when guests don't immediately understand what they're for..

or

..you've broken a tile on your counter top while crushing ice for a cocktail..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Every time you squeeze a lemon or orange for juice (in a non cocktail related application), you shed a little tear thinking of all those beautiful twists gone to waste...

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

You feeeze ice, take it out and let it thaw, freeze it again, take it out and let it thaw, then refreeze it. Because triple frozen ice is the ants pants for making cocktails. It is crystal clear and takes a long time to thaw.

Now how many of you are going to try this?????

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

You feeeze ice, take it out and let it thaw, freeze it again, take it out and let it thaw, then refreeze it. Because triple frozen ice is the ants pants for making cocktails. It is crystal clear and takes a long time to thaw.

I probably will, mostly because I can't see why the trapped air won't just redissolve after the second thaw. I haven't seen much difference between once- and twice-frozen cubes; neither have others.

Why not just make ice from boiled water?

PS: I am a guy.

Mixologist Grant Collins who has topped British and Australian Bar competitions and fronts promotions for Moet Hennessy's vodka brand Belvedere said that this was the way to go.

The ice that he used certainly looked and felt more solid and clear than conventional ice. It reminded me of glacial ice that I had in a Scotch on the way back from Antarctica.

I suppose the question is Internet links with interesting experiments aside, why would he use it see this link if there was no difference? Note he said that he used "pure water," which may fit in with what some of you are saying.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Shamanjoe, you totally need some falernum because you totally need to try the 1934 zombie, the real king of tiki drinks. :biggrin: Fee's falernum syrup is a little scary but works (Berry actually recommends it, or did) and is widely available on the 'net if your local sources fail you.

Cinnamon syrup is easy to make at home -- actually most of these syrups can be made at home without too much fuss, even orgeat. And of course (to get us back on topic), making your own syrups is a premier sign of cocktail snobbery.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

...you think one of those 4-bottle under-the-counter wine refrigerators would be perfect for vermouth.

...then you realize you have more than four kinds of vermouth.

...you get rid of all the food in the freezer because you don't want it to taint the flavor of your ice.

my-freezers.jpg

Camper English, Alcademics.com

...you get rid of all the food in the freezer because you don't want it to taint the flavor of your ice.

my-freezers.jpg

Is that from your clear ice experiments?

. . . not to mention that you stock at least four different types of ice.

Dave, only 4 kinds? :wink:

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

...you think one of those 4-bottle under-the-counter wine refrigerators would be perfect for vermouth.

Agreed, but go for more than 4-bottles. The vermouth shelf of my wine fridge always seems to be full...

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

. . . not to mention that you stock at least four different types of ice.

Dave, only 4 kinds? :wink:

Oh, I was just trying to count what I could make out in cramper's freezer! To me, "exotic" is having two different brands of gin on the shelf.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Oh, I was just trying to count what I could make out in cramper's freezer! To me, "exotic" is having two different brands of gin on the shelf.

Dave, I take it that the following quoted thought has never popped into your head then :wink:

...you think that, while not the worst thing, a bar's selection of Tanqueray, Tanqueray 10, Bombay, Bombay Sapphire, and Hendricks is predictable, unimaginative, and ultimately disappointing.

edited to correct spelling and formatting..

Edited by Shamanjoe (log)

• 2 weeks later...

When you spill some bitters while transferring it into a dropper bottle and decide to dab the excess on your neck like a cologne.

This made me laugh out loud long and hard. And then made me wonder how many surfaces I've swiped errant drops of fernet, only to lick it off my fingers. It's nice to be in good company.

"He was a bold man that first eat an oyster." -Jonathan Swift

When you spill some bitters while transferring it into a dropper bottle and decide to dab the excess on your neck like a cologne.

Oddly enough, my favorite perfume smells A LOT like Angustora bitters! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Every time you squeeze a lemon or orange for juice (in a non cocktail related application), you shed a little tear thinking of all those beautiful twists gone to waste...

Or every time you peel an orange to eat and orange oil is spritzing in all directions, you weep thinking of how good that would be sprayed over a cocktail . . .

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Oddly enough, my favorite perfume smells A LOT like Angustora bitters! :laugh:

I'll bet you'd make a great Manhattan! :wink:

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...

You bartend your own baby shower because you don't trust anybody else to get it right..