• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake Decorating Article at MSNBC & A Movie?!

ComeUndone

Just viewed the trailer for the movie.

The part about the rival cake decorators and the role Margaret Braun's cakes play are a very small part in the movie, mostly about New Yorkers finding new meaning after 9/11. It's a series of vignettes involving a lot of different characters.

Don't think of it as a "cake decorating" movie, because it's not.

:wink:

The part about the rival cake decorators and the role Margaret Braun's cakes play are a very small part in the movie, mostly about New Yorkers finding new meaning after 9/11. It's a series of vignettes involving a lot of different characters.

Annie,

Off topic ... I just checked out your web site and it's terrific (except for my slow connection; took awhile to download.) Congratulations. It's good to see you posting again! :smile:

Ilene

That may actually be a strong point for cake decorators and pastry chefs. Usually, when one views a movie or TV show based on one's own profession, it's nearly unwatchable because of various shortcuts the movie maker must take to advance the story. Talk to a police officer about NYPD Blue, or a coroner about CSI, or a lawyer about one of the law shows. The factual compromises made for the sake of the plot can ruin the whole thing for an insider. :blink::biggrin:

Talk to a police officer about NYPD Blue, or a coroner about CSI, or a lawyer about one of the law shows. The factual compromises made for the sake of the plot can ruin the whole thing for an insider.

So true!!!

Reminds me of a commercial I've seen on TV recently. I think it's for a mouthwash or something, they are trying to get the point across that the "freshness" lasts for several hours. Maybe it's toothpaste....heck, I can't remember because I was so glued to the commercial!

Anyway, it starts out like:

"This is Annie"

And I go, "Hey, that's me!"

They show "Annie" decorating a wedding cake, and it's obviously taking her all day. You see her eating a sandwich and looking at the cake. Then, you can tell by the windows outside her cake studio that it becomes nighttime....she glances at the clock, just puts the finishing touches on the cake, and in walk the bride and groom...I guess they're picking up their own cake??? And I'm like, "What the??"

Then I notice the cake is TOTALLY a Colette Peters cake....seen the design tons of times. Then I'm thinking, "Geez, I'd never cut it that close"......heck, I wouldn't be taking any sandwich break if that were the case. Then there's a part where she's putting the fondant on the cake, and I'm thinking, "Hey, there's a better way to do that....."........so of course I don't know what the commercial was about. As an insider, I'm picking apart the details!

You're right, I bet if I watched a movie that had anything to do with cake designing or decorating, I'd be so busy picking it apart I'd never enjoy it!

I bet the people who do actual crime scene investigations have quite some good laughs over CSI.....I'm not even in that field, and there's some parts that are just so.......ridiculous. Like the fact that the guys who are in the lab doing all the analysis on the human hairs and paint chips, are NOT the same guys who are hunting down the criminals too. That cracks me up.

But anyway! :raz: