• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vitale's Restaurant and Caterers - Teaneck

Anonymouze

Vitale's Restaurant and Caterers 293 Queen Anne Road Teaneck, NJ is where we went with our in-laws tonight for supper.

http://www.vitales.com

We had:

Appetizers (shared) and all presented well and quite tasty too.

Spiedini

White Bread Stuff with Mozzarella, Egg Dipped, Anchovy, Caper Sauce $8.50

Roasted Polenta with Mushroom sauce special around $7.50

Dinner entrees came w/free salad & bread was free w/meal & it was real tasty "home-made" olive loaf style bread too.

FIL had:

Veal Parmagiana

Tender Veal Smothered In Mozzarella Cheese over linguini. (he had asked for the Linguini on the side not liking it covered with all the sauce - they didn't do it per request) $18.95

MIL had: Chicken Sorrento? Chicken with cheese and steamed veggies and I think spinach?! Around 19.00

I had the Duck special with a raisin/apple sauce reduction w/sweet potato side $21.95

(Hubby felt my duck was a bit "gamey" I felt the sauce was pretty flavorless!)

Hubby got the Seared Halibut w/fresh avocado/tomato side dish and w/fresh steamed veggies and mashed on the side. $20.00 appx.

The desserts were made well but not presented well at all, all of our ice creams were in varying stages of melting.

I had a banana crepe w/melted chocolate ice cream. (LOL)

FIL had a Bourbon Pecan Tart (w/half melted ice cream)

MIL had Tiramisu (w/half melted ice cream)

Hubby had Apple Tart w/partially melted ice cream

They all ordered coffee which I had to remind them about 2x, which came when they were down to the last 2 or 3 bites of dessert. We had to ask for more bread, water, refills on drinks. The waiters were nice but the service SUCKED big time!!!!!

We might consider going back for the food perhaps (but I would NOT order duck there again) if the service got better. There were 5 waitstaff and 4 full tables (appx 20 people!) :blink: The staff needs training at the least. :raz:

We were celebrating the culmination of several good events...DC here we go!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I can walk to this place in about five minutes, and haven't in three or so years. 'Nuff said.

Matt if you say it, it's as good as word from GOD for me with at least 75% of the things you say! (I think the only thing we disagree on is the service/quality level at C46) Let's see if anyone else weighs in on this as well?! :laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

when i consider an "italian" restaurant in new jersey (or anywhere for that matter), and it sure doesn't happen that often, i need only look at their description of carbonara. if it says "cream sauce" i pretty much know that i don't need to bother.

The La Cambusas (ridgewood, fair lawn) actually go out of their way to say "cream-less", perhaps nodding to authenticity, and no doubt bumming most customers out.

Edited by tommy (log)

Truer words... well you know what I mean. Anyhow I am not keen on "red sauce" I-talian restaurants.

I find it hard to find a good Italian place up here we can like/love... any suggestions Tommy or anyone?!

I mean as far as pizza or the basics, I love Nellie's pies and Kinchley's too but hubby was not too thrilled - being from the Bronx - he felt they were too "Jerseyesque". He said if you want REAL pizza you go to "da bronx"!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

when i consider an "italian" restaurant in new jersey (or anywhere for that matter), and  it sure doesn't happen that often,  i need only look at their description of carbonara.  if it says "cream sauce" i pretty much know that i don't need to bother. 

The La Cambusas (ridgewood, fair lawn) actually go out of their way to say "cream-less", perhaps nodding to authenticity, and no doubt bumming most customers out.

Yeah, the authentic Carbonara I've had was pasta tossed with bacon (probably pancetta) and a raw egg tossed over it that cooks from the heat of the warm pasta. Is that even available anywhere in these parts? (Cream sauce??? :huh: )

Yeah, the authentic Carbonara I've had was pasta tossed with bacon (probably pancetta) and a raw egg tossed over it that cooks from the heat of the warm pasta.  Is that even available anywhere in these parts?  (Cream sauce???  :huh: )

i prefer guanciale. the la cambusas come close. the jefferson in hoboken hits it right on the head (although it's closing, probably because more people want cream sauce and bacon than pigs jowls and egg yolks). other than that, you're unlikely to find it.

i prefer guanciale.  the la cambusas come close.  the jefferson in hoboken hits it right on the head (although it's closing, probably because more people want cream sauce and bacon than pigs jowls and egg yolks).  other than that, you're unlikely to find it.

Maybe a long weekend in Florence?? :smile:

i prefer guanciale.  the la cambusas come close.  the jefferson in hoboken hits it right on the head (although it's closing, probably because more people want cream sauce and bacon than pigs jowls and egg yolks).  other than that, you're unlikely to find it.

Maybe a long weekend in Florence?? :smile:

i tell ya, short of going to Rome (where i had life-changing carbonara...several times), i've learned that i have to make it on my own, rather than relying on the Vitale's of the world. http://tommyeats.typepad.com/photos/cooking/carbonara2.jpg

obviously you could go to Babbo or Otto or Esca (see a theme here?) and have some very good renditions of the dish, depending on if they're available that day. worth the trip from NJ for sure.

Edited by tommy (log)

obviously you could go to Babbo or Otto or Esca (see a theme here?) and have some very good renditions of the dish, depending on if they're available that day.  worth the trip from NJ for sure.

Nah, I'd definitely prefer Rome or Florence. Can you give me a lift to the airport? :biggrin: