• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme Fraiche Chocolates

Kerry Beal

My friend just got back from Belgium and England (bringing lots of chocolate to taste) and said one of her favorites were the creme fraiche chocolates (and these she didn't bring back for me to taste). A quick internet search shows that a number of chocolatiers offer them, but there is no description of the praline itself.

So does anyone know, is this a ganache using creme fraiche in place of the cream or something else?

A very basic recipe would be welcomed.

Kerry

I have the book Oh Truffles, she uses cream fraiche in some of her recipes. The basis of most of them are:

2 oz unsweetened chocolate

6 oz semisweet

1/3 cup creme fraiche

1 tbsp butter

then she add any "flavoring" to the ganache.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Kerry

I have the book Oh Truffles, she uses cream fraiche in some of her recipes. The basis of most of them are:

6 oz semisweet

1/3 cup creme fraiche

1 tbsp butter

Mark

Thanks Mark, gives me a place to start.

I think I've got that book too, I'll have to dig it out.

According to baking 911, here creme fraiche can be used in place of heavy cream to make ganache. I make a wonderful Valrhona chocolate tart using creme fraiche and a bit of butter with Noire Gastronomie. The texture of the ganache is beautiful with a slight tang from the creme fraiche. Just beautiful.

Edited by 2010 (log)

Kerry

6 oz semisweet

1/3 cup creme fraiche

1 tbsp butter

Mark

How would you make the ganache with creme fraiche? Would you heat the creme fraiche? or would you melt the chocolate then mix in both creme fraiche and butter?

6 oz semisweet

1/3 cup creme fraiche

1 tbsp butter

Mark

How would you make the ganache with creme fraiche? Would you heat the creme fraiche? or would you melt the chocolate then mix in both creme fraiche and butter?

So I've just mixed up half a batch of this ganache. I have creme fraiche that I made from 10% cream using culture from the cheesemaker supply place. It also contains rennet and they suggested draining it. I don't think I'll bother draining it the next time because I ended up with lumpy creme fraiche.

I heated the chocolate, added the butter and let the residual heat melt it. I did heat the creme fraiche for about 20 seconds in the microwave. It all came together nicely (except for the lumps from the creme fraiche).

I used 4 ounces of bittersweet as I have not brought any unsweetened with me this trip. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

So I've just mixed up half a batch of this ganache. I have creme fraiche that I made from 10% cream using culture from the cheesemaker supply place. It also contains rennet and they suggested draining it. I don't think I'll bother draining it the next time because I ended up with lumpy creme fraiche.

I heated the chocolate, added the butter and let the residual heat melt it. I did heat the creme fraiche for about 20 seconds in the microwave. It all came together nicely (except for the lumps from the creme fraiche).

I used 4 ounces of bittersweet as I have not brought any unsweetened with me this trip. I'll let you know how it works out.

In Julia Child's Baking with Julia, she has a recipe to make your own crème fraîche:

Add 1 Tablespoon buttermilk to 1 cup of heavy cream, stir well, cover, and allow the mixture to stay at room temperature until it thickens slightly (about 12 to 24 hours, depending on the temperature of the room). Chill thoroughly before using. It can be kept refrigerated for about 2 weeks, during which time it will become tangier.

I've used this recipe myself for a cake in the book and it's an excellent and inexpensive way to make your own. Just needs a bit of time.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I make creme fraiche all the time. (I use it in place of sour cream.) To make an even tastier one, start with non ultra-pasteurized heavy cream, i.e., use just pasteurized heavy cream. It can be hard to find, but some Trader Joe's carry it.

Edited by WhiteTruffleGirl (log)