• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese and Dessert?

elicious

Hi. Going to dinner on Wednesday night as a farewell to my sis who is moving to San Francisco. Wanted to go to Daniel but they didn't have room for us. Her criteria is somewhere with vegetarian options, but most importantly a good cheese course and great dessert. Any ideas on this?

Hi. Going to dinner on Wednesday night as a farewell to my sis who is moving to San Francisco.  Wanted to go to Daniel but they didn't have room for us. Her criteria is somewhere with vegetarian options, but most importantly a good cheese course and great dessert. Any ideas on this?

Gramercy Tavern has some of the best cheeses in NY. I can't vouch for the desserts as I always get cheese service instead. Really well informed staff and I believe they even have a veg tasting menu.

Since your first choice was Daniel, why not go to Cafe Boulud? The cuisine is superb, and one of the four menus, "Le Potager," is dedicated to vegetarian dishes. There is an excellent cheese course, desserts are lovely, and the basket of warm madeleines offered along with dessert (in lieu of the ubiquitous mignardises) are to die for!! Service always manages to be both polished and pleasant. It's in the space previously occupied by Daniel so, of course, it's smaller than Daniel's current location and, therefore, more intime. The contemporary decor, though not lush, is quite attractive.

Thank you for your suggestions. We are a little late in planning so I think we're on a waiting list for both but have a reservation at Bouley which has a "cheese plate" -hopefully good enough to satisfy my sis!

Of course, Picholine is a great option for a killer cheese course, having really put the cheese course on the map in NYC way back when. Not much on the menu for purely vegetarian dishes, but I'd expect the kitchen could put something nice together. And according to Open Table, they've got tables available for Wednesday.

Christopher

Thanks to foodite's suggestion, we went to Otto last night. There was enough cheese and dessert (including of course the olive oil gelato) to please my sister and we all had a great meal. Thanks for all the help!

You could alway have a meal somewhere and then move on to Room 4 Dessert, they offer a kickass cheese course.

I'm sure this has been mentionned elsewhere, but there is a really great article in last week's New Yorker (June 26 issue) about pastry chef Will Goldfarb and Room 4 Dessert. It's titled "Notes of a Gastronome, The Dessert Lab: A Pastry Chef's Quest for the New. It definitely made me want to try Room 4 Dessert the next time I'm in NYC.

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com