• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Braised Abalone and Dried Scallop

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Braised Abalone, Dried Scallops and Black Mushrooms (紅燒瑤柱鮑魚)

A few people asked me for the recipe of a braised abalone dish I made a few weeks ago in honor of Chef Dejah's birthday. Here it is for all who may be interested.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_3016_35458.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2-3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3016_7625.jpg

Main ingredients (upper right, clockwise):

- Dried scallops (a.k.a. "conpoy"), about 20

- Garlic, use 4-5 cloves

- 1 can of abalone

- 1 head of lettuce

- Dried black (shitake) mushrooms, about 20

- (Not shown) 5 star anises

- (Not shown) 3 pieces of "chan pei" (dried mandarin peels)

gallery_19795_3016_17448.jpg

(Not shown in picture): The night before cooking, soak all dried scallops with 1 cup of water (just enough to cover all the dried scallops) for 16 to 24 hours. Before cooking, drain and save the soaking liquid.

Use 4-5 cloves of garlic, peel and mince.

gallery_19795_3016_24626.jpg

Use 5-6 star anises and 3-4 pieces of "chan pei" (dried mandarin peels). Soak the dried mandarin peels in water for about an hour before cooking.

gallery_19795_3016_24594.jpg

Open a can of abalone. Drain and save the "juice". Cut the abalone into thin slices.

gallery_19795_3016_6226.jpg

One technique to slice an abalone is to hold it down with your fingers, and use the knife to slice horizontally. Abalone meat is very soft. You can slice them up slowly.

gallery_19795_3016_1657.jpg

Here are all the abalone slices for this dish.

gallery_19795_3016_4677.jpg

Soak the dried black mushrooms for about 2-3 hours before cooking. Drain and save the soaking liquid for cooking. Trim off the ends and leave the mushrooms whole.

gallery_19795_3016_11279.jpg

Wash and peel the lettuce. Cook the leaves whole. No need to cut them.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3016_3932.jpg

Use a medium size pot. Set stove to medium. Add 2-3 tblsp of cooking oil.

gallery_19795_3016_4428.jpg

Add minced garlic. (No salt is needed) Stir quickly. Add 1 tsp of brown bean sauce. Dash in 3-4 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Optionally you may add 1 stalk of green onion - cut into 1 to 2 inch in length. (Discard the green onions in the end.)

Sorry the garlic was burnt a little bit. Hard to take pictures while cooking. But this would not matter. Use a strainer to filter off the undesirable burnt residue in the sauce before serving.

gallery_19795_3016_7428.jpg

Add 1 cup of "water" - should first use up the "abalone juice", then the soaking liquid from the dried scallops, then the soaking liquid from the black mushrooms. Add 1 cup of chicken broth, 3-4 tsp of oyster sauce, 2 tsp of dark soy sauce, 2 tsp of sugar, soaked mandarin peels and star anises. Mix well. Bring this to a boil.

gallery_19795_3016_35454.jpg

Once the mixture starts boiling, turn down the stove to a simmer immediately. For the rest of the cooking, only simmer. Gently add the soaked dried scallops. Try not to break any of them for good presentation reasons.

gallery_19795_3016_19912.jpg

Make sure that all dried conpoys are completely immersed in the liquid. Add water/broth if necessary.

gallery_19795_3016_10117.jpg

Add the abalone slices.

gallery_19795_3016_27355.jpg

Finally, add the whole reconstituted black mushrooms. From this point on, do not stir. Leave everything as it. Put the lid on and simmer for 2 hours.

gallery_19795_3016_24277.jpg

10 minutes before serving, set a pan on top of a stove. Set for high. Boil 1 cup of water.

gallery_19795_3016_15789.jpg

Quickly blanch the lettuce leaves.

gallery_19795_3016_25352.jpg

This is what the pot of ingredients look like after 2 hours of simmering.

gallery_19795_3016_17135.jpg

To assemble this dish, use a big round plate. Strain the excess water from the blanced lettuce and lay them in a circle near the rim of the plate.

gallery_19795_3016_27596.jpg

Use chopsticks to pick the whole black mushrooms from the pot and lay them on top of the lettuce.

gallery_19795_3016_20047.jpg

Pick the abalone slices from the pot. Set aside.

gallery_19795_3016_7843.jpg

There are only dried scallops, star anises and dried mandarin peels left in the pot. The dried scallops should stay whole but are very easy to fall apart. Pick and discard the star anises and dried mandarin peels. Use a large spoon to spoon off the conpoy from the pot, one by one, and transfer them onto the center of the serving plate.

gallery_19795_3016_19992.jpg

Like such. Then lay the abalone slices between the conpoy and black mushrooms.

gallery_19795_3016_26534.jpg

With the sauce in the pot, turn to stove to high and bring the sauce to a quick boil. Add corn starch slurry (suggest: 1 tsp mixed with 1 tsp of water, adjust) to thicken it to the right consistency. Spoon the thicken sauce and pour on top of the finished dish.

gallery_19795_3016_35458.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

Keys to cooking this dish

1. The art of braising - once the sauce is brought to the initial boil, turn down the stove to a simmer. Simmer the ingredients for about 2 hours or more.

2. Once the conpoys are in the pot, do not stir any more so that they can stay whole.

3. You may use other whole spices of the "five spice" group to enhance the flavor.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ah Leung--

That is really quite a special-looking (and I imagine tasting) dish! Any suggestions when choosing con poy--like should I avoid ones with sand, broken ones, etc? There is a dried seafood store in Chinatown I know, but I've never bought con poy before.

Great work~!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

That is really quite a special-looking (and I imagine tasting) dish! Any suggestions when choosing con poy--like should I avoid ones with sand, broken ones, etc?

Thank you, gus_tatory. Avoid the ones with sand? LOL! Yeah, for obvious reasons... such as protecting your teeth. :biggrin:

Broken conpoys are sold at a lower price than whole ones, of course. It depends on your use. If you use it to cook congee or steamed eggs, using broken ones are fine. They shred apart during cooking anyway. For a banquet-like hot entree dish, then it would be best to use whole ones.

I know very little about buying different grades of dried conpoys, except the obvious clues: cracks, color (I prefer dark brown color), size (the bigger the better). I found some really good prices in San Francisco Chinatown (along Stockton Street). There are a dozen of dried herb/dried seafood stores. I usually pick up the whole ones, medium size, dark brown color for only US$38/lb. I would imagine in other places the prices would be much higher.

Pretty luxurious looking dish, Ah leung.

How much is a can of abalone now? The last time I checked in Winnipeg, I think they were around $50.00/can. They keep them on a shelve behind the cashier.

Another new phenomenon in the big Asian store in Wpg is seeing the quality seafood freezer covered with plexiglass and locked!

"Visions of a little old Po-Po in a big coat smuggling 2 boxes of 8-10 shrimp out of the store"... :rolleyes::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How much is a can of abalone now? The last time I checked in Winnipeg, I think they were around $50.00/can. They keep them on a shelve behind the cashier.

Are you serious??? :shock:

I bought this can for US$5.00. And I thought it was high... :cool:

I was not familiar with conpoy, so I did a bit of searching ... to save anyone else the trouble, here it is:

Wikkipedia: Conpoy or Dried scallop (干貝, Cantonese: konpui; Mandarin: Gān beì),

Asia Food.org (Glossary): Conpoy

Thanks, Ah Leung, for a wonderful lesson ... and an introduction to a new dish!!

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

It looks like I was confused. Conpoy = Dried scallop, so it is already "dried" by definition. He he... I shouldn't use "Dried" Conpoy.

I used the term "Dried scallop" in the past and the audience seemed not knowing what I was talking about. But they knew "conpoy".

Taking a look at the Chinese name, "conpoy" is just a translation by sound. "Con" = Gan [Mandarin], means "dried". "Poy" = Bei [Mandarin], means shellfish in general. Now I know where this came from.

I will modify my post and be more consistent to use the term "dried scallop".

Thanks JasonZ!

Dang! I really need to get my hands on some conpoy ...

I've actually spotted a store in one of the Convoy Street strip malls whose signage says it's an herb store, but I haven't had a chance to check more closely to see if it's the kind that also carries dried seafood. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait for my next LA run, which might be awhile what with the heat and gas prices and all.

There isn't any mail-order/on-line source for these little critters, is there? I couldn't find any so far by Googling, but I'm hampered by being restricted to English.

Dang! I really need to get my hands on some conpoy ...

[...]

There isn't any mail-order/on-line source for these little critters, is there? I couldn't find any so far by Googling, but I'm hampered by being restricted to English.

Ellen: I will sell you some of mine via mail-order for just as little as US$76.00/lb +SS. I have a Paypal account, so Visa/Master/American-Express are welcome! :laugh:

I would imagine you can find the stores that sells dried seafood and Chinese herbs in the Convoy area. Or... I'll bet there are some along El Cajon Blvd or (more likely) University Ave. You are a regular at Saigon restaurant, right? Just ask a friendly waitstuff. They would probably know. Vietnamese and Chinese use just about the same stuff (many are Chinese Vietnamese anyway).

Ah Leung:

Since I became interested in under utilized species it's apparent how wide spread it's become adapted:

King Topshell and Abalone Type Shellfish are not ABALONE.

They are from a Gastropoda popularly known as "Wavy Turban Snail" (Astraea Undosa} A type of Sea Snail indigenous to the Pacific Ocean. Most types imported from Mexico sell from $4.95 to $13.95 per can. The canned taste is very similar to Abalone. Dried Abalone are very special and expensive.

Canned "Abalone" also available imported from Mexico retails from $40.00 to $60.00 per can, price varies by size of Abalone most common 3/4 pieces per can. It comes in 2 types:

Blue Abalone (Haliotis Fulgens)

Yellow Abalone (Haliotis Coprrugata)

I personally feel that your method of Braising together with treating the Dried Scallops with respect tastes as good or even better then most attempts at preparing Abalone due to your skill in marrying flavors together.

This week I was fortunate enough to get some fresh live Abalone from Alaska that even though it smaller them most west coast types it was excellent after being sliced thin,pounded and sautéed in Butter and White Wine.

Some dried Abalone preferred In Hong Kong for Braising can cost several hundred dollars per pound. Whole Large Dried Scallops cost over $175.00 per pound.

It's popular as a Traditional Wedding Dish, especially Braised with Duck Feet boned.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Since I became interested in under utilized species it's apparent how wide spread it's become adapted:

Ah... thanks for the lesson, Irwin. These labels look familiar. I always picks these items up by the Chinese labels, which does use the term "Bau Yue" (= Abalone). Sneaky merchants! I just thought there are different grades of abalone.

It tastes pretty good though.

Ah Leung:

Irwin

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Irwin. Can't read Chinese but when I saw the shape of the whole "abalone", I didn't think it was abalone...There is a smaller type which I think my mom calls ocean clams that we have used as "ga ba yu" - fake abalone.

I have never tasted fresh abalone, but canned, I'd rather eat the mushrooms and the lettuce soaked in oyster sauce. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ah Leung:

Irwin

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, Irwin. Can't read Chinese but when I saw the shape of the whole "abalone", I didn't think it was abalone...There is a smaller type which I think my mom calls ocean clams that we have used as "ga ba yu" - fake abalone.

I have never tasted fresh abalone, but canned, I'd rather eat the mushrooms and the lettuce soaked in oyster sauce. :wub:

Dejah:

Fresh Abalone is in a category all by itself. If correctly sliced, pounded carefully by touch and feel until tender, dipped in flour and a egg wash then browned in clarified sweet butter, with white wine, white pepper and fresh lemon it is a memorable special experience.

When I lived in Mendocino, California I enjoyed preparing and sharing a Abalone meal with my diver instructor friend who had introduced a well known neighbor into diving and they had their limit of live Abalone that they requested I prepare to share with them. Since it was a Sunday off season our Restaurant was closed but we opened up just for our private party. Who could refuse Abalone ?

The neighbor was a regular customer and friend who had been learning about diving on the Mendocino Coast, "Jerry Garcia" of the Grateful Dead my son was included as he was operating the air pumps while they were diving.

This became a regular occurrence during the Abalone season often including live Sea Urchin's, Octopus and once a speared Wolf Fish and Carbazon with everyone learning how to pound, slice and sauté the Abalone.

Jerry Garcia eventually began designing decorative Dive Suits with his art work. The original one was fitted for my daughter. I still have several of his designed silk ties that have become collectors items. I'm waiting for the occasion when I will wear a tie. {Hah)

Irwin :biggrin:

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 1 year later...

Hsrtw8, would this recipe work with frozen abalone? I came across frozen abalone, the size of a dollar coin, at a nearby mall selling Asian produce.

On the same mall, there is a Chinese apothecary. Among the bins of shiitake, conpoy, ginseng and various herbs, they sell dried, sliced, king top shell. Would soaking then and simmering in ginger be the right way to handle this product?

BTW, your sea cucumber thread looks wonderfull!

Thanks

Hsrtw8, would this recipe work with frozen abalone? I came across frozen abalone, the size of a dollar coin, at a nearby mall selling Asian produce.

I think it would work just fine. Just adjust the cooking time. I have not dealt with frozen abalone before so I don't know how long it should be simmered til soft. But should be just fine.