• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vichyssoise

Holly Moore

Any Philadelphia recommends for a grand and reliable Vichyssoise? Ideally one on the thinner side and from an establishment where one feels comfortable in jeans. The other day I picked a quart from one of the gourmet takeout places but it had the consistancy of apple sauce. Looking for a more traditional version of the classic.

Neat link, by the way. Turns out that Vichyssoise was created in New York City, not France - though the chef had a french heritage.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Any Philadelphia recommends for a grand and reliable Vichyssoise?  Ideally one on the thinner side and from an establishment where one feels comfortable in jeans.  The other day I picked a quart from one of the gourmet takeout places but it had the consistancy of apple sauce.  Looking for a more traditional version of the classic.

Neat link, by the way.  Turns out that Vichyssoise was created in New York City, not France - though the chef had a french heritage.

I'd check the usual suspects like Brasserie Perrier or Le Bar Lyonnaise. I'm not sure who else might do vichyssoise. :unsure: Not sure if jeans are in the dress code at Le Bar Lyonnaise, but I've certainly seen enough folks wearing them at Brasserie.

How about that soup stand at the Bellevue food court? Their soups are delicious and they might be doing some chilled soups now that it's hot weather.

Any of the BYO places have vichyssoise? Matyson might be a good bet. Or perhaps one of the chefs that are lurking might get a menu idea from this thread and let us know where to come find it. :wink::smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...
Any Philadelphia recommends for a grand and reliable Vichyssoise?  Ideally one on the thinner side and from an establishment where one feels comfortable in jeans.  The other day I picked a quart from one of the gourmet takeout places but it had the consistancy of apple sauce.  Looking for a more traditional version of the classic.

Neat link, by the way.  Turns out that Vichyssoise was created in New York City, not France - though the chef had a french heritage.

The current issue of Saveur has a nice article about Vichyssoise and its New York origins, written by Todd Coleman.

Had a wonderful corn vichyssoise with warm foie gras at Marigold last night. It was incredible smooth and delicious. Maybe corn's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's really tasty.

We went for the Ucity "dining days" and it was an amazing meal for $30/3 courses.

My SO wore jeans, many folks were dressed fairly casually/summer-y because of the heat.

Vichyssoise was a special at Audrey Claire last night. I pass by them every day and specials tend to stay a while, so it's more likely than not that it's still there today.