• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's our national dish?

What is a butter tart.

It sounds like it contains

1. Butter

2. Flour

3. Sugar

and as such may be the perfect foodstuff.

Close:

clickity

choco-clickity

My gran made the best homestyle butter tarts. They had a butterscotch-y, buttery filling, rum-softened raisins, and a very light shortcrust pastry.

And when I worked at a restaurant when I was at uni, Karl-the-Pastry-Chef used to make an upmarket chocolate version that caused all the waitresses to offer him a collective proposal. Sadly for us, Karl had a boyfriend. :smile:

Tommy - Let's put it this way, on Thanksgiving, I don't eat the turkey at all. I don't even eat the leftovers the next day. I'm just making a general comment about turkey which I get to taste occasionaly when Mrs. P and I bring in kosher style deli. She usually orders the turkey and I take a nibble or two.

There are too many diverse ethnic groups in what is called the "multicultural mosaic" (a phrase used to distinguish the approach from the American melting pot) of Canada for there to be a "national dish".

For some, hamburgers. For others, pho.

ediot:

And, yes, poutine: frites with tinned gravy and cheese curds.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanksgiving is now "owned" by my little sister, who has some miracle magic she does to a turkey. I can't eat turkey anywhere else at this point, because hers is so good. And she's told me a zillion times what she does, but it just doesn't come out that way when I do it. It's impossible to stop eating it.

I love that bite when all of these things are on the fork: turkey, stuffing, sweet potato, cranberry sauce, gravy.

I thought butter tarts were Danish.

The butter tarts I'm familiar with are essentially puff pastry decorated with even more puff pastry and powdered sugar.

SA

Those sound interesting. Different from the tarts I'm thinking of, but interesting nonetheless. Gotta recipe?

(I'm just can't get enough puff pastry, me)

Tommy - Let's put it this way, on Thanksgiving, I don't eat the turkey at all. I don't even eat the leftovers the next day. I'm just making a general comment about turkey which I get to taste occasionaly when Mrs. P and I bring in kosher style deli. She usually orders the turkey and I take a nibble or two.

oh. ok. for a second there i thought you were talking out of your *ss. :wink:

Miss J -- not really a recipe (recalling from memory, having read a cookbook several years ago). Basically make puff pastry the usual method, and cut into a circular shape. Cut several strips of puff pastry dough, brush with egg wash and roll each strip up, then place on top of the circle of dough, pressing each spiral roll into the circle.

Brush the whole with egg wash. The net effect is that when you take the butter tart out of the oven, the top should be decorated with spirals of puff pastry.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, let cool, cut into wedges and serve. Serve preferably with some schlag (sweetened whipped cream) on the side.

SA