• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valhrona Chocolate

chefmoni

i've always just purchased my chocolate at the local baking store (NY Cake or in Chelsea Market), but it's very very expensive. And now that I'm starting to do more mass/retail production, I would prefer to spend less and buy more. Where does everyon else buy their chocolates (valhrona preferrably)?

Thanks!

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

What kind of quantities are you looking for? If you're looking at volume then Qzina or Chocosphere or Surfas Online are all good resources, although given it's summer, you'll pay extra for shipping. And Qzina does have minimums (I believe), so you'll need to take that into consideration.

NY Cake's prices for chocolate absolutely floor me. I don't know what they charge for Valrhona, but I was in there one day, happened to pass by their Callebaut and glanced at the price...you practically had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

I have found that Fairway's prices are relatively decent (at least on some chocolate), so if/when you need to buy locally, I'd at least price comparison shop there.

see if you ca arrange to buy some thru a restaurant, aske their PC.

Still going to be in between 4.50 & 7 a pound I think.

Good luck!

PS: Good online sources, reliable product, I know Patrick S has one for Valrhona.

2317/5000

see if you ca arrange to buy some thru a restaurant, aske their PC.

Still going to be in between 4.50 & 7 a pound I think.

Good luck!

PS: Good online sources, reliable product, I know Patrick S has one for Valrhona.

chocosphere

was the one I was thinking of....

2317/5000

thanks for the suggestions! yeah i can purchase through the restaurant i work at, but wanted to get a feel around to see if i could find it cheaply myself. but probably not!

thanks again

Pastry PRincess

I often use European Imports, although I live close enough to pick it up myself and avoid shipping and minimums. However, it is still pricey ($7.40-$9.50/#) and I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper source myself.

European Imports (Chicago, Atlanta & Arizona I believe)

773.227.0600 (the Chicago number)

http://www.eiltd.com/

Randall Raaflaub, chocolatier

rr chocolats

chefswarehouse.com, i think for vahlrona

they are the public end of dairyland

and vahlrona is not cheap no matter what, i pay between $7 and $9 per pound, wholeseale, depending on the type. i don't think you can do better than that

nkaplan@delposto.com

Good prices for Valrhona are here alo , I think the best around.I buy my chocolate here all the time now.

http://www.icaviar.com/Store/Scripts/prodL...?idCategory=387

and i think you're right! these seem like the best prices....thanks a bunch!

Pastry PRincess