• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ZenKimchi 식 Ruffians

Friends have been suggesting I start a group for people wanting to follow Tony Bourdain's philosophy of experiencing the most out of cultures through food and to find the most sublime meal.

I set it up on my food site, and people who are in Seoul or will be in Seoul can sign up (it's safe). We're planning a big dogmeat excursion some time this summer.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

That sounds cool! I almost wish I were still in Seoul. Yeah, not really. :biggrin:

Okay, I have a few suggestions for you:

Do you know Sinchon at all? There is a really good pork place up amongst the Love Hotels. It's called Donmania. Really good moksal, doegi galbi and sogum gui. The kimchi there was spot -on - the adjumma there used to bag it up for me for take away. You get there by finding the Krispy Kreme (on the street that forms part of the big intersection with the music store Synnara Records opposite). If you walk out of the KK, turn right then take the next right down an alley. Go to the end of the alley (there are some galbi places there, too) and turn left. It's a short walk up that street on the right. The sign isn't in English, but it's green and has a happy pig on it. There are some octopus places across from it.

Second; spend a day hiking on Bukhansan. Come down the river valley in the west/central part of the park- or you can get to it by road from the western entrance to the park. You want to find the river. Follow along the river. The place I'm talking about is one of the first places you'll see next to the river(if you're coming down the mountain). They cook using a western style grill, and they make a brilliant ogyeobsal (five layer pork - hope you like the skin!), and dubu kimchi - they'll even run you out of the park if you stay too late drinking makkeolli and can't walk out.

Third - (more of a drinking place, but does amazing fish). In Insadong, go up from the Jongro intersection. Take three steps up insadong street, literally, like before the music shop and the bbeondaeggi stalls, turn left down an alley, like it's two people wide, really, and take the next right, down a slightly wider alley. The "hut" is on the right - there's almost nothing else in this alley. Look for the meanest looking place you can find, you'll barely be able to duck in if you're tall. The place is covered with black pen graffitti on the inside, and there are two hard core adjummas grilling fish all the time. I guess this place is around 50 years old, and is a really popular student hang out. You will not order, they will immediately bring you a metal bowl of makkeolli and a grilled fish with a small pile of salt. Drink, eat, repeat as needed. You will feel like a major Seoul bad-ass if you find this place and they let you in. It's usually packed, but you should go here early in the night.

Dog soup?

What kind of soups do dogs like?

(I know, I know. Still, I'd try it.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think I would eat some dog.  Sign me up, if I visit seoul next year!

Heh, heh. That there's dog soup and steamed dog in my avatar.

Edited by ZenKimchi (log)

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

there was discussion on another forum i frequent about eating dog.

apparently other dogs can tell if you've eaten dog or not, they become very wary and suspicious [so would i, if i was a dog! :)]