• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger brews

Jim Cotter

Has anyone ever tried Stewarts Ginger beer. I see it is available from Beverages Direct. I have been buying Barritts but it is a little pricey and I am looking for alternatives. Blenheim has some ginger beer I will try soon but there are not alot of options.

Yes, the health food store in my town carries it as well as Stewart's cream soda, strawberry, orange and cream and grape plus a couple of other flavors.

They also carry another brand of birch beer and the best lemon lime soda I have ever tried, wish I could remember the name.

Trader Joes used to carry it but I haven't noticed it lately.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I forgot to mention that Stewart's sodas are often sold at rather unusual places. There is a ice/dry ice dealer that also sells ice cream and etc. products to local mobile vendors (catering trucks and etc) that sells several brands such as Stewart's, Jolt, Nehi, Virgil's, Jones soda and Dr. Brown's by the case only and at a pretty good discount.

I know he sells to several little mom & pop stores and to the produce market.

He also sells beer in kegs only.

The thing to do is check the yellow pages in your area and call around. The distributors will generally be happy to provide you with the names of the retailers who carry their products. This is the way I have tracked down some hard to find items locally.

Hope this has given you some ideas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'll give the local beer distributer a go but it seems so far that Stewarts is mostly in New York State. I am in North Carolina.

How did it taste? Did you find it to be on the "hot" end of the ginger beer spectrum?

Stewart's Ginger beer is great!

But you have to like a good ginger beer... it's not your typical canada dry ginger ale.

It is deliciously strong stuff. It has a nice ginger burn to it and leaves your mouth feeling hot long after the stuff has singed your throat on the way down.

I wouldn't exactly call it hot, but rather spicy and not as cloyingly sweet as the commerical varieties.

If you ever have tried Fentimen's, it is very similar, with a lot of ginger flavor but without the back of the tongue sear that you get with some of the new crop of ginger beers/ales.

I like it far better than Vernor's.

I'm a big fan of Reed's Ginger Brew. I think it's the best I've had. Stewart's makes good sdoas though -- I've never tried their ginger beer -- so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it is tasty as well.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

• 1 month later...

My gold standard for Ginger Beer is Barritts of Bermuda. My second choice is Goya, then Stewarts. Did not like Reed's, Blenheims has a ginger beer but have not tried it yet, I use their hot ginger ale as you would a spice sparingly to add a little "Bam" to a drink.

Have you tried the Jamaican brand D&G? I've been drinking the Goya on occasion as it's the best I can find locally and only 50 cents per bottle but I recall the D&G as being similar to Goya and a bit better for my tastes. We have no Jamaican markets locally and I only seem to find it on rare occasions in a Jamaican take-out restaurant

I was given a couple of bottles recently, it was excellent. loved the cloudy effect .

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone ordered directly from Blenheim's Bottlers in South Carolina recently? I have been trying to get a hold of some for my new place, but they never seem to answer the phone. I've called both their toll-free number as well as their local number a few times, but get some non-descript message that offers no information. I've left messages on that voicemail, but nobody has returned a call, to date. 1.800.270.9344 is the number I've got. I'm looking to purchase directly, as I'm reselling the product. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has about them. Thanks.

Audrey

Has anyone ordered directly from Blenheim's Bottlers in South Carolina recently?  I have been trying to get a hold of some for my new place, but they never seem to answer the phone.  I've called both their toll-free number as well as their local number a few times,  but get some non-descript message that offers no information.  I've left messages on that voicemail, but nobody has returned a call, to date. 1.800.270.9344 is the number I've got.  I'm looking to purchase directly, as I'm reselling the product.  I'd appreciate any insight anyone has about them.  Thanks.

Audrey

I have never been able to order Blenheim's directly. It's almost as if they don't want to get get any bigger. When I want a lot, I usually just stop at South of the Border and pick up a few cases. Good luck, and please report back here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I understand that Blenheim Bottling was bought by Alan Schafer, the owner of South of the Border in Dillon, SC, who distributed and promoted Blenheim. Schaefer is now deceased, but you might try giving them a call at (843) 774-2411.

--

I have good news! I received a call from Ryan at Blenheims. The toll-free number is good, and you can order as little as a case---the cost is $14.00 per/cs. Shipping is expensive though; add on Fed Ex at approx $16.00 per case to NYC, for approximate total of $30.00 per case

But then again who cares....so well-worth it when you taste that rye & ginger! :biggrin: