• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger brews

Jim Cotter

Sweet! Also looking forward to the Moccow Mule to end all Moscow Mules.

If only we knew some nice guy from the Carolinas . . . a lawyer maybe . . . someone with a big car . . . and a foodie, of course . . . who could load a whole bunch of cases into his car sometime and drive it up to NYC. He could go to Patsy's East Harlem for a pizza while he's here. :rolleyes:

--

I won't be driving to NY any time soon; however, one of you HAS to know someone who passes by South of the Border on I-95. It's literally a 10 minute stop to load up the car at $12.95 a case. I know I see tons of NY license plates when I'm on 95!!!

Of course, I did just pick up 3 cases for the pig pickin'!

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sweet!  Also looking forward to the Moccow Mule to end all Moscow Mules.

If only we knew some nice guy from the Carolinas . . . a lawyer maybe . . . someone with a big car . . . and a foodie, of course . . . who could load a whole bunch of cases into his car sometime and drive it up to NYC.  He could go to Patsy's East Harlem for a pizza while he's here.  :rolleyes:

Heh, I have this lawyer buddy of mine who keeps me supplied with Blenheim's (love that hot!) and Cheerwine (I find the diet flavor to be one of the best diet drinks on the planet). Perhaps you should try to cultivate some new friends in NC like the ones that I have. They take great care of me.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 10 months later...

There is a difference between ginger ale and ginger beer. I shall use the term ginger brew to refer to both of them.

My favorite now is from Maine Root. Don't let the photo on the website fool you; it's very cloudy and green -- it looks radioactive actually! The flavor is less sweet and more herby, almost medicinal. Not everyone will like it. I like to mix it 2:1 with spiced rum.

Blenheim's Red Top Ginger Ale is enough of a reason to be glad that you are alive, just in case you were looking for one. It's awesome. A really, really good friend used to send it to me, but, well, I guess that I've fallen out of favor with him, bcause it's been a while. In fact, we discussed this very thing, Blenheim's, right here on this very website.

Maybe someday...

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 4 months later...

There are a couple of endorsements for Reed's Ginger Brew upthread. I'm sipping on their Raspberry Ginger Brew product right now. This one has a particularly strong raspberry profile, and there's also some lime juice in it. I've also had the Cherry Ginger Brew, which has more of a ginger bite than this raspberry one.

Those are the only two Reed's products I've had. But I'll be looking to pick up more of their ginger brews and juice ginger brews.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 13 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion to post that Canada Dry Ginger Ale has a new flavor (at least, new in my area). 

It's Canada Dry Ginger Ale Bold (click)

Drinking it is sort of like eating candied ginger pieces, where you get that little bit of a burn or spice in the back of your throat. 

Truly bold compared to the original flavor.

I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, Toliver said:

Reviving this ancient discussion to post that Canada Dry Ginger Ale has a new flavor (at least, new in my area). 

It's Canada Dry Ginger Ale Bold (click)

Drinking it is sort of like eating candied ginger pieces, where you get that little bit of a burn or spice in the back of your throat. 

Truly bold compared to the original flavor.

I highly recommend it.

I'm always mad (not really) that they never make any of the limited ginger ales with non-nutritive sugars. alas.

anyway this totally goes against the spirit of a ready-to-eat forum, but for those interested, ginger beer is suuuuper easy to diy.