• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Patios

Since it is that time of year, I am wondering if anyone could recommend interesting patios for a good meal and nice glass of wine.

My one pet peeve is that many of the patios are on high traffic streets, making conversation (and fresh air) difficult.

Please let me know what you've discovered!

Kensington Kitchen, if I recall, has a small patio out back. It's been a while since I've eaten there, but I remember it was green and leafy, and not too noisy (it's behind the restaurant, not on the street side).

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I have been going to Allen's on the Danforth for years. The patio at the back is a cool oasis with plenty of tree shade.

Food tends to be good but somewhat expensive. The bbq menu has yet to disappoint.

The beer list is outstanding.

Have taken many out-of-town visitors there.

Allen's is always great! And up until they closed it, my favorite, (though non-alchoholic), was Verity's patio - tucked away from the road and like you're in another zone altogether.

you may want to check out NOW's Patio Guide for the alt-spots around town.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

A great restaurant with a really nice back patio is Churraquira Bairrada on College. Grilled foods, Portuguese specials, and a very relaxed informal atmosphere all combine with a well shaded and landscaped back patio. I reccomend it highly.

you never know, it could happen...

Thanks for the great suggestions. That ought to keep me busy for a few weeks :).

I tried Small Talks on Bayview last night. Even though the patio is in the front, it isn't quite as noisy as some street patios because the patio is further back from the street. Overall the food and service were great. We had a problem with one of the meals (out of six) and it was quickly and graciously replaced.

I hope the patio recommendations keep coming!

Ok - Here are a few...however, it is a tough combination to get good food+wine and a GOOD patio.

First, let me state that I dont consider patios that are street side to be good. To me, I like clean air, and that means UP!

Avenue and Bloor I believe is where the Hyatt hotel is located, they have a rooftop bar/patio on the 18th floor that is nice, if you can get a seat.

Last night we were at the Fox and the Fiddle at Young few blocks north of St Clair, and they have a cool rooftop patio.

More to come...

My latest favourite is Czehoski's rooftop patio. It's small and intimate with ceiling fans too (don't worry, there were mounted on wires so that you can still see plenty of stars)! Although there's not much of a view, the food more than compensates for it.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

..Avenue and Bloor I believe is where the Hyatt hotel is located, they have a rooftop bar/patio on the 18th floor that is nice, if you can get a seat.

Second this. Nothing better on a warm summer night. Great view. Sadly, I think no cigars anymore.

officially left egullet....