• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Gift Certificates - rec's?

BeeZee

I'm in the fortunate position of having about $1,000 to spend on restaurant gift certificates for clients. I usually get $100 denominations, figuring that usually covers dinner for two (they can pay for the wine) and that allows me to gift more people :smile:

I need help to pick places north of New Brunswick, since I really don't know the restaurants up there very well. I've been to, and gifted for, The Frog and The Peach, so that's one down. I usually like one or two "steakhouse" type places (I did Ruth's Chris last year), but other than that, I'm open to suggestions. I need to be able to order them over the phone or internet and have them mailed to me.

Tell me your favorites - Somerset, Union, Bergen, Essex county!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Union County (Rahway): David Drake's. Really superb.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Having been on the receiving end of a LARGE g.c. to Blu in Montclair, I can tell you I was thrilled, so that was my first thought. And of course, they're in the BYO category, which is always great in terms of gift certificates, so you can use the $ for FOOD!

Other BYO recommendations:

Fascino (Montclair--Essex Co.)

Trattoria Fresco (Caldwell--Essex Co.)

Lots of folks love Osteria Giotto (also in Montclair), although my first experience there didn't wow me like I had hoped.

Non-BYOs:

Fortunato (Lyndhurst-border of Essex and Bergen, technically southern Bergen)

And finally, Scalini Fedeli in Chatham (Morris Co. on the Essex border)

Those should get you started and inspire some other folks to chime in... :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

heh heh, how many Amazings does $100 buy? :raz:

Gotta tell you, I haven't eaten a dog in probably 20 years and yours look damn good! I used to have a client in Verona, if they were still there I'd be stopping in for fries, at the very least.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This year I gave some teachers GCs to Indigo Smoke in Montclair. A hundred dollars will buy you loads of bbq and sides there (probably enough for four people)--the prices and food aren't as swellegant as at Blu and Fascino, but that atmosphere's lovely and the food is fun and GOOD!

Susan