• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summaries of Korean food and drink

I was reading the WikiTravel article on South Korea and came across a somewhat opinionated but, it seemed to me, worthwhile survey of Korean food and drink. (Remember, anyone can edit WikiTravel articles, so if you feel you can improve the article, by all means, go ahead.) But I'm sure there are better summaries elsewhere on the net. What's your favorite place to look for this kind of only moderately detailed information in narrative form at your fingertips?

Michael aka "Pan"

all the etiquette pointers make me laugh. I usually eat rice with my chopsticks and only rice with a spoon when i am dipping said spoon into a stew (which is very rude). Oh well, my mother and relatives never scolded me when I did this. Also, I think metal chopsticks are alot easier to use than wooden chopsticks. The points at the end of the metal chopsticks come close together making it easier to grab really small items. That's just me though

Unfortunately I don't know of any other webpages that list types of korean dishes. Do you know of any more?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Unfortunately I don't know of any other webpages that list types of korean dishes.  Do you know of any more?

There's the Wikipedia article on Korean Cuisine, which I've thoroughly tainted with my input and pics.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

I usually eat rice with my chopsticks and only rice with a spoon when i am dipping said spoon into a stew (which is very rude).

I never saw anyone in Korea eat rice with chopsticks, only with a spoon. They used to laugh at me when I used chopsticks. And everyone dips their spoon filled with rice into the jigae, I never knew that was considered rude! :biggrin:

I usually eat rice with my chopsticks and only rice with a spoon when i am dipping said spoon into a stew (which is very rude).

I never saw anyone in Korea eat rice with chopsticks, only with a spoon. They used to laugh at me when I used chopsticks. And everyone dips their spoon filled with rice into the jigae, I never knew that was considered rude! :biggrin:

Yes, I was always admonished to use a spoon with rice, and shown to dip the rice spoon into the soup. Except when Koreans would pour the whole bowl of rice into the soup and then eat it all together. I prefer the texture when you dip, but then there is gukbap, where the rice comes already in the soup. Sundae-gukbap and gul-gukbap (Blood sausage or oyster rice soups) are among the most common varieties.

Another source of Korean food data is the Galbijim wiki (http://wiki.galbijim.com/Main_Page) - it replaces the wikicities one and will ultimately be as comprehensive as you can make it be by what you add.....

- Phage

Gac