• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "steak" cut of fish

Kent Wang

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

A related question is "How do restaurants serve a big square lump of salmon without wasting the thinner edges of the filet?"

Protein is expensive, you have to make the most of it.  Small but nice pieces can be set aside for tasting menu portions or doubled up on a regular entree.  Trim can be made into tartare, mousse, sausage, stock ...

• Like 3

When we buy salmon, we usually get an unskinned filet that's slightly less than a pound. I skin it (one of us doesn't care for the skin, but I don't mind the exercise in order to save $1.50 a pound) and portion it. Then I make a light cut about an inch up on the belly end (the actual measurement depends on the shape of the filet). This creates a flap of belly, which I can fold under to even out the thickness. I sprinkle a little transglutaminase into the fold and weight it down for about 30 minutes. That's usually enough to create a uniformly (more or less) shaped filet.

I've never done it, but I don't see why, if you liked the skin , you couldn't meat-glue it back on. 

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

OK, here is another attempt.  Fillet portion cut as I have been trying to describe:

Dinner03252019.png

Might not look like much* but this salmon was closer to two inches thick.  Sixteen minutes exactly on the Philips grill.  I had heard of flaky fish but I had never experienced same till now.  Way more protein than I would ordinarily ingest at one sitting but helped by an embarrassment of Kenji roast potatoes and no lack of coleslaw.  I'd say no leftovers but I couldn't finish the second 1.5 liter bottle of Soave.

*fooled you, serving platter, not a dinner plate.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I usually buy a whole side of salmon.   First thing I do is skin it if needed.   Then the belly meat gets sliced off and set aside as well as the tail end.   The now more uniform side is portioned in 4-6 oz cuts 

Belly will get used first most often.   Due to the higher fat content it’s great for smoking 

• Like 2