• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

The other day my doctor called.  Mentioned cholesterol.  She told me I should eat more fish.  And particularly dropped the name of salmon.  (Sorry if too much information.)

Accordingly I placed an order with Prime Now.  What arrived last night was a lovely looking fillet of approximately 1.2 pounds.  Because 1.2 pounds is more salmon than I could eat at one sitting I cut a strip from the small end of the fillet as shown below:

Dinner03232019.png

To my eye this cut looks awfully like half a salmon steak.  And still more fish than I need for one serving.

I've been reading up on salmon butchery:  The Japanese Culinary Academy volume Mukoita I has eight pages on the subject.  But still I am puzzled.  For preparing a portion for grilling would it be appropriate to cut the strip at a right angle through the thickest part of the fillet?  That would leave something looking like what is sold as tuna or swordfish steak.  (Except, obviously, not swordfish.)*

Does this make sense?  Or would cutting in this fashion only ruin a lovely fillet?

*nor tuna.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

The other day my doctor called.  Mentioned cholesterol.  She told me I should eat more fish.  And particularly dropped the name of salmon.  (Sorry if too much information.)

Accordingly I placed an order with Prime Now.  What arrived last night was a lovely looking fillet of approximately 1.2 pounds.  Because 1.2 pounds is more salmon than I could eat at one sitting I cut a strip from the small end of the fillet as shown below:

Dinner03232019.png

To my eye this cut looks awfully like half a salmon steak.  And still more fish than I need for one serving.

I've been reading up on salmon butchery:  The Japanese Culinary Academy volume Mukoita I has eight pages on the subject.  But still I am puzzled.  For preparing a portion for grilling would it be appropriate to cut the strip at a right angle through the thickest part of the fillet?  That would leave something looking like what is sold as swordfish steak.  (Except, obviously, not swordfish.)

Does this make sense?  Or would cutting in this fashion only ruin a lovely fillet?

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner03232019.png

I've been reading up on salmon butchery:  The Japanese Culinary Academy volume Mukoita I has eight pages on the subject.  But still I am puzzled.  For preparing a portion for grilling would it be appropriate to cut the strip at a right angle through the thickest part of the fillet?  That would leave something looking like what is sold as swordfish steak.  (Except, obviously, not swordfish.)