• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to Buffalo

ErinB

Moving to Buffalo in about 1 month. I've spending some time there already for work, and wanted any suggestions people could give me.

What grocery store do you go to (aside from Wegman's)?

Butchers?

Best fruits/vegetaables?

Ethinic markets? (i've found the thread on asian markets, anywhere else?)

Best coffee shop?

I'm going to be living in North Buffalo (near hertel and colvin) and my office is in Cheektowaga.

Moving to Buffalo in about 1 month.  I've spending some time there already for work, and wanted any suggestions people could give me. 

What grocery store do you go to (aside from Wegman's)? 

Butchers?

Best fruits/vegetaables?

Ethinic markets? (i've found the thread on asian markets, anywhere else?)

Best coffee shop?

I'm going to be living in North Buffalo (near hertel and colvin) and my office is in Cheektowaga.

I have some plans on checking out Buffalo's food a little more, first I'll tell you what I know already. Guerico's is in the market district on Niagara, I think, it's a decent Italian market, nothing like Federal Hill, but it has the necessary items. There are lots of meat markets in that area too. Cheap produce! There is also a small but nice Asian market down from there towards downtown, bear left at the split and it's on the left hand side called Niagara Asian Market, I think. Apparently the mega Asian store is up to the east of where you'll live on Sheridan Dr. somewhere as yet undiscovered by me. I did find a small Indian store there. There is a great fish market right near you on Hertel, near Premier wine and cheese (same side of road, just a bit south of). There is a gourmet/organic place that just opened up a couple years ago I haven't been too. I think somewhere near downtown off Elmwood. That should be an easy find. You have the Niagara Food Terminal for all things cheap and wholesale at Clinton and Bailey, which is also home of the Sausage Maker, who recently told me of one Eastern European Butcher Shop, which I have heard about and forgot before, but am now determined to locate. I don't know of any grocery's that do close to the job of Wegman's. Alot of stuff, esp. produce is way overpriced however.

There's a coffee place out on Elmwood Ave called the Spot or the Coffee Spot. I wouldn't rank it in the top tier of my favorite espresso/coffee places in the US but overall it's better than the others I've tried in the Buffalo to Albany run (Gimme Coffee is great and in a different class but it's only in the Ithaca area and NYC at present).

There's a coffee place out on Elmwood Ave called the Spot or the Coffee Spot. I wouldn't rank it in the top tier of my favorite espresso/coffee places in the US but overall it's better than the others I've tried in the Buffalo to Albany run (Gimme Coffee is great and in a different class but it's only in the Ithaca area and NYC at present).

Spot Coffee, they tried to take it to Ellicottville a few years back, it's not there anymore. I don't know where to get coffee as I don't often, just the occasional thai coffee or espresso. Phaelon56, I like how they opened a Starbucks in Ithaca, that's got to be a hot target for vandalism. There are lots of coffee spots near the universities in Buffalo, I'm sure you'll find a good spot.

Rue Franklin was just mentioend on the Rochester dining thread as reputedly the best fine dining in Buffalo and apparently the one really exceptional sushi place has closed.

There are, of course, the regional specialties like beef on a weck and I suspect things like white hots (aka coneys) have made their way that far west from Syracuse and Rochester.

Wegmans isn't the end-all be-all but they're good at most of what they do and have a good enough selection of upscale, organic, specialty etc that Whole Foods rarely bothers to try going up against them directly in the same markets.

Do look around to find out where the local farmers market is held. Central and western NY has some excellent independent farmers, cheesemakers etc who often sell at these.

As for Starbucks in Ithaca - ugh - but it will serve the tourists stayiong upstairs inthe Hilton Garden Inn or visiting the Commons for the day. And it will make the locals appreciate even more what a treasure they have in Gimme Coffee (who should open a few outposts in Buffalo which, unlikeSyracuse, is probably ready for a coffee/espresso joint operating at that level).

As for sushi, I knew that Kuni's had closed but I saw an article in Buffalo Rising that a few more are opening up, one is opening right where Kuni's was.

That is good news, we'll see how that pans out.

There are some pretty unique farms in the area, North Collins Game Farm wholesales partridge, pheasant, and other game birds. The Buffalo on Irish Hill Rd. in Ellicotville also come to mind. Cuba Cheese in Cuba, NY. The Amish Auction Weds. throughout the year in Springville is a nice place to buy a pig, action figures for your collection, or fresh herbs and vegetables. It's like the only surviving auction of it's kind, and a lot of nicely pastured meat gets sold there.

As for organic there is a big organic produce market, Buffalo Organics, I think? I'm not sure of there scope, again it's on the short list.