• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newark Portuguese/Spanish

Rack

We will be in Newark in July and are looking forward to a great Portuguese or Spanish dinner. My wife loves a good paella. We ate at Fornos last July and before that, Seabras. I have had problems with the service at Don Pepes and wont go back there. I see lots written that is not current or conflicting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Casa Vasca. Also Seabra's Marisqueria.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Truth for Iberia. They have a stuffed lobster that's wonderful if you're in the mood for it. It's big enough to share between people depending upon the size. Also, Brasilia Grill has a rodizio that is among the best out there if you don't mind a more casual environment (read: there's soccer on the flat-screen TVs and it's kinda got that cafeteria ambiance) but they do have feijouada that's made special and only available on the weekends. They have good seafood dishes if you're not feeling particularly carnivorous.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Also, Brasilia Grill has a rodizio that is among the best out there

Always a high point during our visits to the area. True about the casual ambience but it lends a certain authenticity to the experience. The food has always been great and I've been about five times.

If, I mean when Brasil advances through the World Cup qualifiers the place will be mobbed - championship match is Sunday, July 9th.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Spain and Don Pepe's are both still around, although I can't comment on how good they are these days. There's something a little cheesy about DP's in particular, imo. Can't put my finger on what it is, but it is.

I second the rec on Casa Vasca, but keep in mind that it's not 'fancy,' if that's what you're looking for; more local/homey vibe, but the food is great, and the service won't disappoint either. Bonus: they have their own parking lot. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Tony De Caneca for Portugeuse.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Casa Vasca-I really liked the place alot.

Plus, it's really fun to be on a trip to Manhattan and be able to tell people who are checking out your dinner plans, "I'm going to Newark! And I'm really excited about it!"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Figure 12-16 on entrees and 6 bucks per appetizer.

I think that's a tad conservative, but even so, most of it won't be a lot more than that. And of course, don't forget the sangria! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Sol-mar on Ferry St. is authentic Portuguese and it's very good. I have been to Portugal and it's very much like the food there. It's where I go with my Portuguese friends! I've tried most of the restaurants that have already been mentioned but Sol-mar is my favorite. :smile:

Lori

I love Portuguese food, but here in south jersey there is no Portuguese contingent that I know of to make it. We have friends up there in north jersey (I don’t know how that happened) and when we visit them our first choice for food is to visit one of these restaurants. They should move a couple down here in the boondocks of the sunny south. :biggrin:

Absolute truth for Sol-Mar. Eat in the bar, not the dining room; the menus are slightly different and they have more specials in the bar side. Now that the smoking ban is in effect, it's a much better experience for non-smokers. If they have a cuttlefish rice stew thing on the menu, GET IT. It's like a risotto, but not so creamy and not so soupy... it's bloody delicious.

Just veer left on Ferry Street as you hit the church where the road forks. It gets me every time. -_-

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Yahoo! User Reviews

Write a review

October 01, 2005 Best Portugese in town

By lovazquez21 - See lovazquez21's reviews

Fernandez II is the best portugese restaurant in town, and quite possibly the best restaurant in town, period. The food is awesome and quite abundant. The service is the best, very attentive and impeccably dressed. And the ambience is very European: low lights surrounded by classic portugese decor and incredibly romantic. The price is just right, and boy will you get your money's worth!

Portugese food is definitively not for vegetarians. But everyone else will definitively love the place (and even vegetarians if they don't mind the enormous slabs of meat being served next to them). If you're a meat lover, try the Rodizio. You'll be glad you did.

Hide Full Review

Fernandez II is the best portugese restaurant in town, and quite possibly the best restaurant in town, period. The food is awesome and quite abundant. The service is the best, very attentive and impeccably dressed. And the ambience is very ...

Full Review

Visit date: December

Now THIS is authentic Spanish and Portugese food !!

Mike M. says:

If you like spanish food (paella, chuletas, etc.)...go to this restaurant! If you like portugese food (rodizio, etc.)...go to this restaurant! This is authentic stuff, right down to the coffees and desserts. Plus the interior is very relaxed, down-to-earth, and inviting.

RAF