• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casual S. Philadelphia Italian for Large Party

Artichoke

A close friend of mine who is not a contributor to eGullet was thinking out loud about birthday plans for her mom who lives in Philadelphia and I thought I would try and lend a hand. My friend has not lived in Philadelphia in many years and so is out of the loop on the dining scene. My only eating adventures in Philadelphia have been of the roast pork Italian kind (miss those).

She is looking ideally for a an Italian space, south Philadelphia, great food, that would allow for a D.J. and accomodate between 100-120 people. She had tried Io E Tu, but they are closed in Sept. which is when she wanted to make this party.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A close friend of mine who is not a contributor to eGullet was thinking out loud about birthday plans for her mom who lives in Philadelphia and I thought I would try and lend a hand.  My friend has not lived in Philadelphia in many years and so is out of the loop on the dining scene.  My only eating adventures in Philadelphia have been of the roast pork Italian kind (miss those).

She is looking ideally for a an Italian space, south Philadelphia, great food, that would allow for a D.J. and accomodate between 100-120 people.  She had tried Io E Tu, but they are closed in Sept. which is when she wanted to make this party.

I think you may have better luck separating the space from the food. Most places in South Philly can't accommodate that many people (or won't, because it would preclude them from turning over the tables for the rest of the night), let alone a DJ. Quite a few could certainly cater it for you at a banquet hall or something, though. Of course, I've never arranged for a party that big, so I may be overlooking something.

A close friend of mine who is not a contributor to eGullet was thinking out loud about birthday plans for her mom who lives in Philadelphia and I thought I would try and lend a hand.  My friend has not lived in Philadelphia in many years and so is out of the loop on the dining scene.  My only eating adventures in Philadelphia have been of the roast pork Italian kind (miss those).

She is looking ideally for a an Italian space, south Philadelphia, great food, that would allow for a D.J. and accomodate between 100-120 people.  She had tried Io E Tu, but they are closed in Sept. which is when she wanted to make this party.

I think you may have better luck separating the space from the food. Most places in South Philly can't accommodate that many people (or won't, because it would preclude them from turning over the tables for the rest of the night), let alone a DJ. Quite a few could certainly cater it for you at a banquet hall or something, though. Of course, I've never arranged for a party that big, so I may be overlooking something.

I think you raise a good point Buckethead. Perhaps the question should be, who knows of good Philadelphia caterers or Italian restaurants who would cater such an affair.

You could probably rent the Mummers Museum at Front and Washington.

DiBruno Brothers has catering, and there's always Feast Your Eyes, Peachtree and Ward, and Culinary Concepts.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Popi's has the space, the food is very good, and they are located at 20th and Penrose in South Philly.

(edited to put the link in the right spot :smile: )

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

• 2 months later...