• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annual Greek Food Festival

johnnyd

It's that time of the year when the venerable Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church at the top of Pleasant street shuts down traffic for their annual, weekend-long street party. This is the second oldest church in Portland. Built in 1828 by the Methodists, the steeple once housed a bell cast by the Paul Revere Foundry - it was damaged by fire and removed but the bell is in the church lobby.

I stopped by this afternoon for a look (and a snack) before the place starts hopping.

gallery_16643_3119_130259.jpg

By nightfall, this street will be full of people dancing, rain or shine. The band plays classic greek instruments and gets the crowd really whipped up. Food is served around the tent perimeter with lots of seating in the middle.

gallery_16643_3119_22937.jpg

The grill crew is ready for a busy weekend...

gallery_16643_3119_63215.jpg

As usual, I couldn't help chatting up the boys and pretty soon I had a classic Gyro in my hand. The tzaziki was really good!

gallery_16643_3119_12166.jpg

Other items available (at modest prices - all donated to the church) includes:

Lamb Souvlaki - kebobs looked great

Loukaniko - pork sausage with orange zest and spices

Moussaka - Hamburg, tomato sauce, onions, cinnamon, eggplant, potatos

Pastitsio - baked pasta, ground meat, romano, greek spices and bechamel

Dolmathes - Famous stuffed grape leaves

The boys at the bar were ready too:

gallery_16643_3119_257921.jpg

They had cases of Retsina (telling me the crowd who come are in-the-know), as well as Mavrodaphne, Metaxa and ouzo.

gallery_16643_3119_435836.jpg

The desserts were endless, some of which I had never heard of:

gallery_16643_3119_196208.jpg

Loukoumathes - fried dumpling balls with honey syrup and walnuts

Finikia - walnut spice cookie, date center and dipped in honey syrup

Kourambiethes - butter cookies rolled in powdered sugar

Thiples - flaky pastry dipped in honey, topped with cinnamon and walnuts

Koulourakia - braided butter cookie topped with sesame seeds

Paxemathia - a kind of greek biscotti

Karidopeta - honey walnut cake.

"All the food and pastries are hand-made by our Parishioners from scratch!", proudly reads a line in the program provided. They also wrap anything you want to-go.

The atmosphere at this party is legendary. If you can't make it this year, it's held every year on the last weekend in June, Rain or Shine, 133 Pleasant Street near the Old Port in Portland.

Opa!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 11 months later...

It's that time of year again!

This year's Greek Festival runs from today, Jun 21st through Saturday the 23rd at the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 133 Pleasant St. Portland. 11:30am to 9:30pm

Click here (or scroll up) to see pictures and commentary from my visit there last year.

Yassou! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 year later...
It's that time of year again!

This year's Greek Festival runs from today, Jun 21st through Saturday the 23rd at the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 133 Pleasant St. Portland.  11:30am to 9:30pm

Click here (or scroll up) to see pictures and commentary from my visit there last year.

Yassou! :smile:

This year's Greek Festival runs Thursday through Saturday, June 26 - 28.

Portland Food Map.com