• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non Tourist Trap Restos Near Tourist Traps

CoolPapaBell

Upon returning to our hotel in Trevose, a few miles south of Sesame Place, we were craving something ethnic and close by. Fortunately I'd read a few Indian places were within 5 miles. We love Indian food. We've eaten it allover Manhattan, Queens, surrounding areas, states, and Asia. Everything from hi end, middle of the road and cabby stands. I like to think we have a good foundation.

Though this place received a couple positive (often un-trustworthy) Yelp comments we had no idea what to expect when we pulled up to an empty Food Castle Express in Bensalem. It was very modern, seemingly brand new with lacquered rustic tiles, modern light fixtures and an open kitchen surrounded by glass. (I've seen a couple exposed tandoori ovens but never an entire exposed Indian kitchen). And it was spotless. A good sign I thought.

We sat at a booth overlooking 2 flat screens blaring Bolywood movie and music clips at a tolerable level. Keeping in mind the patience factor of our 20 month old, we ordered immediately from a friendly and knowledgeable waiter. We chose the staple, Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Jalfrezi. (Would have opted for the Lamb Jalfrezi but they were out of lamb. They offered goat which sounded great but not knowing what cuts and quality to expect we chose to play it safe and "chickened out". Next time for sure). We also ordered a side of basmati (entrees don't come with rice) and a garlic naan.

The 2 dishes and the naan where simply spectacular. Really, just blown away at the bold flavor profiles. The chicken tikka, a staple in any Indian restaurant, was a take on the classic but with more vibrant and sharper flavors of cumin, coriander, cardamom and tumeric in a thick, spicy sauce. The Jalfrezi, was in a similar tomato based sc but more complex, with grated fresh ginger, fresh green peppers, capsicum and cherry tomatoes. The acid from the peppers and tomatoes made for a wonderful contrast to the richness of the sauce. The garlic naan had a perfect soft texture with a slight char and a brush of ghee over fresh garlic made for a wonderful bread which disapeared quickly.

The quality and cuts of chicken both white and dark meat where excellent. I wouldn't go as far as claiming organic but it had a slightly gamey quality. Basmati rice was cooked perfectly. We brought our own 40oz of Bud Ice. (Taj Majal or King Fisher would have been nice but our options were limited). Anyway, gotta love the byo policy in PA.

We were among the only patrons but it was early Sunday night. Soon after a large party of Indian's entered. We thought it a good sign. (Ironically, all of their food that I could see seemed to come off the Chinese portion of the menu which I didn't understand. Go figure. I've often heard from Indian colleagues that the best Indian food is prepared by their wives or mothers never from a restaurant. I don't know but if Food Castle consistently turns food like this they'd give anyone a run for their money. I would say this place is seriously worth travelling to.

That wasn't chicken