• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deviled (or Stuffed) Eggs: an appreciation and discussion

Varmint

I've recently tried to devil quail eggs and it was not pretty. I assumed the whites stuck to the shell because they were so fresh, like what you'd expect with really fresh chicken eggs.

Are you suggesting a crack in the cold water will help with the separation? That doesn't sound so bad.

A little more than that even. I bought these from a farmer at the Greenmarket, so I assume they were pretty fresh. What worked for me was to crack them, start peeling, and then you can feel the membrane between the shell and the white. Tear the membrane with your fingers, or I suppose you might use a needle or something, and let some water run between the membrane and the white, and it will slip off with the shell more easily.

I think a certain number of broken eggs is inevitable. I think I got 20 halves from a dozen eggs (you can count the eggs in the picture and check me on that).

Thanks David, that makes sense. Have you tried deviled duck eggs? Very rich, very yellow, very delish. I've never tried ostrich . . . maybe one day.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 6 months later...

I have a deviled egg problem. I've been working on a few different recipes (trying to nail Ana Sortun's Oleana eggs currently), and the flavors are pretty strong. However, as you can see, the technique is deeply flawed:

4363479893_6c6104c845.jpg

4363480111_f03c511752.jpg

How do you shape the filling for the eggs? I've tried melon ballers (the filling sticks), quenelle-esque spoon work (no Escoffier here), hand-rolled little balls (freakishly regular). Can't settle into a technique that works.

Help!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Piping is definitely the way to go for fast and easy prep, plus a neat looking presentation. If you have mix-ins (like chopped bacon, onion or whatever), you just have to make sure your pastry tip is big enough that they'll fit through. A star tip results in a stylized deviled egg; for something more rustic, you can just use a plain tip.

Even if you don't use a pastry bag and tip, spooning the yolk mixture into a plastic bag with a small hole cut in one corner and then piping will make filling those whites easier.

I love a deviled egg, of any and all sorts. One of my favorites has a bit of dijon mustard, a bigger bit of Hellman's mayo, some chopped dill or chives, some flaked smoked salmon and just a touch of horseradish. It's got a dab of creme fraiche and a dab of caviar on top. Oh....my....those are good.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 10 months later...

Bump.

I just read this phrase: "duck-confit-studded deviled eggs" in a PR release about a new Zak Pelaccio restaurant. Doesn't that just sound lovely? Might have to try that this weekend....

How about you? Are you doing any deviled eggs these days?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 7 months later...

Ever since we had a wonderful dish of "Bacon and Eggs" at AMP 150 in Cleveland, (see the report here), I've been craving more deviled eggs. Tonight I did Deviled Eggs with some Lox-Style Smoked Salmon, (Sockeye from Alaska). Delicious.

002.JPG

Why do people insist on using prepared mustard in deviled eggs? I find the vinegar twang of yellow mustard to be offensive in most things (virtually ALL things, actually)and most dissapointing in eggs! I usually use a little Coleman's DRY Mustard in the mix, along with some onion that I've grated on a Microplane, Hellman's mayo, kosher salt and fresh ground white pepper. That's the basic yolk mix, which I mash with a fork to smoothness. Garnish with whatever bits and pieces you like, or just top with good paprika, a sprinkle of dill weed, shredded basil or the like. Never a leftover yet! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ever since we had a wonderful dish of "Bacon and Eggs" at AMP 150 in Cleveland, (see the report here), I've been craving more deviled eggs. Tonight I did Deviled Eggs with some Lox-Style Smoked Salmon, (Sockeye from Alaska). Delicious.

For these eggs I used mayonnaise, (bottled store-bought), champagne vinegar, Dijon mustard, chopped dill and chopped capers. I typically use homemade mayonnaise which isn't as thick and pasty as the store-bought stuff. I like the suggestions above about using a bit of horseradish for some extra kick.

I love Indian devilled eggs...and its the only way we eat them at our house.

Just saute off some very finely chopped onions in a little ghee until translucent. Add your favourite curry powder to taste with an extra pinch of chilli powder if you like. Cook the spices off at low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring. Cool and add to sieved egg yolks with some extra mayo to soften if required. Pipe/spoon into whites and top with a small sprig of cilantro.

Delicious! And I have to say it is one of the rare times I use a bought curry mix...normally I make my own but for some reason they have never tasted as good as bought.

Go figure! :rolleyes:

Why do people insist on using prepared mustard in deviled eggs?

Tradition for one thing.

My mom uses a mixture of Miracle Whip :shock: , prepared mustard and cider vinegar in her filling mixture. The trick is finding the right balance between a "skosh" of this and a "dab" of that. It's the same mixture she uses in her potato salad recipe. Your mileage mary vary. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Mayo, horseradish & sriracha have become my favorite combo for dipping sauce for boiled crawfish. I'm thinking it might also be good in deviled eggs.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 2 months later...

Today is National Deviled Eggs Day and in my time zone there is still time to think up something interesting for lunch or dinner.

The following links are all posted with today's date.

Eatocracy.

Gone-ta-pott.com and this site has more links about eggs at the bottom of the page.

Also other food holidays.

Happy Deviling!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Deviled egg win! I made a Caesar flavored egg...I think I got the essential Caesar salad flavor, and I had some teeny tiny romaine leaves in the garden so it was meant to be.

caesar deviled egg.jpg

I mixed the yolks with grated Pecorino Romano, anchovy paste, pureed garlic, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, a little bit of mayo, and some olive oil.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

That's beautiful.

I'm planning some curried and some spicy with an Indonesian sambal and a couple with anchovy butter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Genkinaonna, that's a lovely photo and the recipe sounds delicious.

The last few times I've made deviled eggs, I've been lazy and mixed the yolks with store-bought Roasted Garlic Mustard (from Stonewall Kitchen) and a bit of Greek yogurt to smooth it out, sprinkling the stuffed eggs with crushed Turkish aleppo pepper. Very easy but very delicious.

Deviled egg win! I made a Caesar flavored egg...I think I got the essential Caesar salad flavor, and I had some teeny tiny romaine leaves in the garden so it was meant to be.

caesar deviled egg.jpg

I mixed the yolks with grated Pecorino Romano, anchovy paste, pureed garlic, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, a little bit of mayo, and some olive oil.

I like this idea alot. Would you mind sharing an approximate ratio of the ingredients you used? Would you say it tasted very much like Caesar, or was more like a spin-off?

Also, what do you think about substituting Parmigiano Reggiano and adding a bit of lemon juice? I usually have a wedge of Parm (but not Romano) in the house and lemon juice just makes sense to me, but I won't mess with it if you think it's already perfect as is.

I would say it was darn close to the taste of a caesar salad. Since it is a Caesar egg, I would think that subbing parm and lemon would be totally fine...I just happened not to have either ingredient, and so opted for pecorino and white wine vinegar.

The only thing I would say is that it's a little salty...but I thought in a good way.

Here's the recipe...approximately, I actually eyeballed it so if the proportions are off a little feel free to mess with them :wink: .

Caesar Deviled Eggs

6 eggs

2 tsp anchovy paste (I use the stuff in the toothpaste type tube)

2 tbsp finely grated pecorino romano cheese

2 tsp worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp olive oil

2 t dijon mustard

2 T mayonnaise (I used hellmans, called best foods brand on the west coast)

1 T white wine vinegar

1 clove fresh garlic, crushed

Place eggs in a saucepan and cover by one inch with cold water. Place pan on heat and bring to a boil. Once water reaches a boil, turn off and cover, leaving eggs in the water for 10 minutes, then remove eggs to an ice bath to chill. When eggs are fully chilled, peel and slice in half, removing yolks to a bowl.

Add anchovy paste, pecorino, worcestershire, mayonnaise, dijon, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and crushed garlic to egg yolks. Use a fork or whisk to mix until mixture is smooth and lump free. Pipe egg yolk mixture into egg white halves, slightly overfilling each half. Garnish with micro romaine leaves (super easy to grow in a shallow pot on a balcony, mine came from the garden) and bread crumbs fried in olive oil until crispy and brown.

Hide from family and eat all 6. Repeat. : )

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown