• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simply Sublime

Stone

Id have to say:

Fresh made black pepper linguine tossed with a pinch of salt and a little butter

Plain tomatoes or cucumber with a sprinkle of salt

Bing cherries

Fresh picked lettuce with a squeeze of lime (yeah...I know Im weird :wacko: )

Fresh picked lettuce with a squeeze of lime (yeah...I know Im weird :wacko: )

When I was poor, I used to eat pasta with a little butter, mustard and bread crumbs. I don't know what I was thinking of, except $.50 a serving.

A nice fresh (slightly warm) seeded loaf of Italian bread w/ some extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic for dipping.

Leftover cold ham chopped off the bone on a warm crusty dinner roll w/ a slice of sharp cheddar and some mayo.

Strawberry shortcake with lots of real whipped cream, fresh biscuits and local, perfectly ripe, just-picked berries (preferably from Oregon). When I was growing up my Mom would serve this for dinner (all we could eat) once a year when my brother and I would help her pick strawberries for making jam.

By the way, I read somewhere that the largest percentage of the Oregon strawberry crop goes to a single company - Hagen Daas.

a summer ripened beefsteak tomato with salt & fresh ground pepper. gawd. the season is just too short for me.

clotted cream.

brioche.

mashed potatoes.

a perfectly ripe avocado.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Strawberry shortcake with lots of real whipped cream, fresh biscuits and local, perfectly ripe, just-picked berries (preferably from Oregon). When I was growing up my Mom would serve this for dinner (all we could eat) once a year when my brother and I would help her pick strawberries for making jam.

And I recently learned from a friend tha wonderful addition of chilled milk into the bowl in which you serve the strawberry shortcake. It makes it even more amazing. He was served it this way by his grandmother. And I can understand why it has stayed on with him.