• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simply Sublime

Stone

I admit it. I don't really know what "sublime" means when, as Shaw points out, it appears in just about every food review.

So lets stick with simple. What's your simplest food pleasure?

For me it's a toasted sesame bagel with real melted butter. I grew up on margarine, so it wasn't until later in life that I discovered the joys of real butter. It tastes like a cool, spring afternoon. And the bagel is its perfect vehicle. Warm, soft, and delicately chewy, with a gentle crunch and a sublime hint of bitterness from the toaster. It doesn't get much easier or better. (And yes, a good toasted Jewish rye will substitute nicely.)

For another twist, sometimes I stick the bagel in a 400 degree oven and leave it in for 10 minutes. When it comes out (use a hand-towel!) the crust is well toasted and crunchy (almost like bagel chips), but the inside is moist, soft and piping hot. A great combination.

So lets stick with simple.  What's your simplest food pleasure?

For me it's a toasted sesame bagel with real melted butter.

Toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese. I love my bagels with cream cheese from Russ and Daughters. And while everyone else enjoys all the other great stuff they sell, I enjoy my bagel and cream cheese and roll my eyes like a little 5 year old licking some candy.

Bulbous, peeled green grapes that are somewhat, but not unmitigatedly, ripe. Seeds removed to the extent they exist in the grape.  :raz:

And who does this for you? :wink:

Or are you patient enough to do this for yourself? I make a grape raita for which I do what you suggest.. but only when really in a very patient mood... most of the time I simply chop them in half.. but peeled grapes are just amazing.

I remember being served these as a young boy and man in India... Those were the days.. when people loved me enough to go through all that effort just for me. No more! :rolleyes:

A bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich in August here in NJ with thick sliced Schaller & Weber double smoked bacon cooked till smushy crisp (all bacon lovers understand this), fresh NJ tomatoes, a couple crunchy leaves of Romaine lettuce on double toasted Arnold Hearty White bread scheared with a moderate layer of good mayo and several turns of fresh cracked pepper... (the appropriate orgasmic smiley does not exist).

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Bulbous, peeled green grapes that are somewhat, but not unmitigatedly, ripe. Seeds removed to the extent they exist in the grape.  :raz:

And who does this for you? :wink:

Or are you patient enough to do this for yourself

Suvir -- When I was a young child, the grapes were presented to me peeled and there were many, many of them available in any given sitting. I used to eat them several times a week when I felt like it. They were so clear-tasting, and yet also fairly sweet. Alas, nowadays, there is generally nobody to assist me in this regard. :sad::shock: I rarely feel inclined to effect the peeling myself.

Helena -- When I walk by corner stores or certain gourmet-type stores, I'll go in and look for ones that seem to fit the bill by visual inspection. Some of the grapes that have been adequate for me in recent times appear to be round-shaped and to have slight yellowish-type color tones along their surface. Then, the necessary munch with respect to a sample grape. I do not generally keep track of grape names, but dislike the "standard" crisp, oval-shaped, green grapes that are not sufficiently sugary. :smile: As previously noted, I do not eat peeled green grapes much nowadays. It's not the same without the peeling, preferably by another person. :wink:

Cabrales and Helena, green grapes are really a curious thing. You can have life long favorites, and still have to sample these same in order to find a suitable purchase. They are also very subjective: my husband and I will choose completely different grapes. I, personally, prefer jumbo black grapes, seeds or without. And, yes, Cabrales, who is doing the peeling makes all the difference. I will sometimes peel 13 or 14 for my husband; that is my limit. He is spoiled enough as it is.

In the meantime, I may just go away with Toby with lots of raspberries and heavy cream. No, just a thought.

eGullet member #80.

Home made meringue with raspberries and cream

toast with lots of butter and a little vegemite

chicken pho

really good bread with really good butter

the elusive perfect peach

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

While Mark's BLT is close to perfect, I prefer Beefsteaks, still warm from the sun, a dollop of spreadable goat cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, a few shards of basil, and cracked pepper. Sometimes, I'll add raosted red peppers, but this is not as 'simple"...also, I have been known to eat a fresh tomato like an apple, with just some coarse salt. AHHHHHH....

Cabrales said, "Margaret -- If you are comfortable discussing it, does your husband sometimes peel grapes for you?"

Yes, as a gesture. I appreciate his thought, but not the particularly the product. We settle by his turning a blind eye to my airline ticket purchases. :wub:

eGullet member #80.

cabrales, one of my best food memories is actually related to green grapes, from Uzbekistan. They were called "Lady Fingers".

I thought Lady Fingers were what the Indians call "bindi", a vegetable shaped like a large chilli pepper, pale yellow in color, and tasting a bit like a parsnip. No ?

My most absorbing simple food is a pomegranate. Apart from the wonderful flavor, I find the process of carefully teasing the seeds, one by one, out of the casing, supremely relaxing.

chicken pho polly? 'splain lucy.

Pho-pronounced somewhat like far, is vietnamese noodle soup. Made with either chicken or beef stock, slices of appropriate meat and rice noodles.

Topped with herbs, beanshoots and a squeeze of lime juice.

It is manna from heaven. Simple pure and divine.

chicken pho polly? 'splain lucy.

Pho-pronounced somewhat like far, is vietnamese noodle soup. Made with either chicken or beef stock, slices of appropriate meat and rice noodles.

Topped with herbs, beanshoots and a squeeze of lime juice.

It is manna from heaven. Simple pure and divine.

ah yes. well, i know what pho is, as it is simply one of my favorite dishes in the world (there was recently extensive discussion on pho eslewhere, including several pronunications). however, i've never seen it with chicken. maybe i'll look harder next time. i'm usually a rare beef guy.

ah yes.  well, i know what pho is, as it is simply one of my favorite dishes in the world (there was recently extensive discussion on pho eslewhere, including several pronunications).  however, i've never seen it with chicken.  maybe i'll look harder next time.  i'm usually a rare beef guy.

Ahh, I look like a silly chicken then don't I.

Do try the chicken version if you can. They are both gorgeous, but chick is my personal favourite.

If you find a place that serves the sausage with whole black peppercorns in the soup, give that a go too.

Have you come across pizzle?

Sliced ripe tomatoes with EVOO, salt and pepper (and torn basil leaves).

Asian cold poached chicken, steamed rice, and ginger-garlic paste.

Congee (especially if topped with ma po tofu or minced pork with preserved black beans)

Roast chicken and smashed potatoes.

Strawberries, cracked black pepper and aceto tradizionale.

French omelette (with a green salad, a baguette, and Perrier).

Prunes macerated in Armangac, and spooned over French vanilla ice cream.

Spaghetti with minced garlic, EVOO, lots of chopped Italian parsley and cracked black pepper.

Pici (think spaghetti but double in thickness) with caramelized onions, EVOO, anchovies, Italian parsley, cracked black pepper, and a light dusting of bread crumbs.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop for now.

:smile::smile:

SA