• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wanted:Recipe for Chicken Shish Kabab, Punjabi Sty

usathyan

There are 2 punjabi restaurants in NJ, one in parsippany and one in piscataway...they both serve excellent chicken shish kabab...they are soft, spicy with coriander seeds and such...they taste just like the street kababs from india...

anybody have good authentic recipes for this?

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to say that I don't have the recipe for Punjabi-style chicken shish kebab, and judging by the lack of replies it would appear that other posters don't have recipes either.

However I do have a very good recipe for chicken shish kebab which you could try. I think that you'll be pleased with the results.

Put large pieces of carefully trimmed boneless chicken breast into the following marinade for at least 24 hours:

Vegetable oil infused with garlic

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Turmeric

Cumin

Monosodium glutamate

The oil is infused by gently frying a whole clove of garlic cut in half lengthwise for a few minutes. The garlic is then disposed of and the oil left to cool.

The monosodium glutamate may seem like an odd ingredient, but it really enhances the flavour. It can often be found in Chinese stores under the name of Chinese Salt. Do not exaggerate with the quantities of the turmeric and cumin as they should not dominate.

Cook the marinated chicken on a charcoal barbecue. The coals should be grey and there should be no flames. It is important that the temperature isn’t too high otherwise the meat will get burned on the outside whilst remaining raw on the inside. If the flame appears too hot then simply move the pieces of chicken to the side. Turn over the chicken occasionally. Once nearly cooked, cut the larger pieces in half to thoroughly cook the inside.

Very nice to eat inside pitta pockets with fresh salad and perhaps some chilli sauce.

I know that it's not quite the recipe you were looking for, but it is definitely worth trying!

I was talking about shish kebab. As far as I know seekh kebab is made with minced lamb meat and not with chicken.

Most places called a minced chicken kabab a reshmi kabab but increasingly off late you can see CHICKEN SEEKH KABAB featuring on a lot of menus.

Sudhir Seth

Chef-Owner

http://www.indianfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Passage to India

4931 Cordell Avenue Bethesda MD 301 656-3373

www.passagetoindia.info

SpiceXing

100-B, Gibbs Street, Rockville MD 301 610-0303

www.SpiceXing.com

Punjabi restaurant in Parsippany next to the patel groceries & Punjabi dhaba in Piscataway near the desi groceries store (Route 27)

About sheesh kabab vs sheek kabab...whats the difference?

There's a Patel grocery in Parsippany? Where?

The only grocer I'm familiar with is Subzi Mandi on Littleton Rd.