• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1/8th of French Vineyards

SBonner

I was watching the BBC earlier today and their report on the drop in French wine sales in the E.U. compared to the increase in consumer demand for new world wines. It seems the French Governing bodies are looking at reducing 1/8 of the current vineyards to improve quality and I guess increase sales/profits. What was funny about the report was they had one of London's top sommelier's taste two wines blind; a French St. Emilion and a Chilean Cabernet blend. After he spoke on the fruit forward style of the new world wine he completely got it wrong by picking the St. Emilion as the new world wine:smile: You have to hate blind tasting when on TV :unsure: His comments were on the ball in regards to styles and price points though.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I believe there is a bit of confusion here.

The facts are--French wine consumption has dramatically decreased (by app half) over the last 40 years. (the BBC has reported this).

In large part, the wines that have suffered most are basic French table wines (Vins Pays D'Oc etc). Most of these wines were never exported but were consumed locally. They would have a hard time competing profitably on the world market. That is, when the costs of shipping and marketing were added in the resultant price would by out of synch with the price consumers would be willing to pay for them.

The single most cited reason for the decrease in drinking are the French drunk driving laws.

Also cited are new attitudes toward drinking in French society.

(perhaps signaling a French "puritanism"--sorry I couldn't resist).

I really do not know the rationale for the seemingly silly tasting stunt.

What did it have to do with the report on vines being pulled up?

What were his "comments..."?

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, affordable wine is a wonderful thing. But, as a general rule, I am against farm subsidies, which is part of the reason why there is so much production of grapes for wine. Farm subsidies are generally used as an international bludgeon, which I am against.

Heck, I'd be happy if the US divested itself of many farm subsidies.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

As JohnL points out, it's the cheap table wine that they're starting to limit.

Personally I'd rather drink Don Miguel Gascon Malbec (okay, from Argentina rather than Chile) at around ten bucks a bottle than just about any French table wine at a similar price.

--

Tell you what, I'll drink French, y'all can drink Chilean.

ya sure y'all can tell the difference?

:wink:

by the way--I betcha the BBC was trying to make some

editorial comment about globalization with their little taste test.

--all wines taste the same nowadays. or

--the French will be forced to make global style wines.

The EU efforts have little or nothing to do with

wine styles or tastes etc. they are economically driven--too much

wine too few drinkers.

The French have no problem selling at home or abroad such vastly differing wines as

classed Bordeaux, Burgundies, Rhone wines, Loire whites (and a number of reds)

as well as many other wines from in all sorts of styles and places around the country.

and at nice profits too.

The dirty little secret of wine tasting is--

It is very hard to tell the provenance of many wines when tasted

blind.

Old style new style any style!

How many of us have mistaken an aged syrah like Grange or a cote rotie for a Bordeaux or

a Bordeaux for a Californian cabernet or an Argentina malbec for a Bordeaux or a ...for a....

:wacko:

Think its easy? Remember the tasting of 76!!!!!

Just wanted to add... I have been in France regularly since 1994 and I have noticed the prices of budget wines (not plonk) have been steadily rising at the grocery stores. It was especially noticable when they switched to the Euro. It 1994 my wine buying power went nearly twice as far. Cahors used to be 8 francs now it is hard to find one under €3.

Just wanted to add... I have been in France regularly since 1994 and I have noticed the prices of budget wines (not plonk) have been steadily rising at the grocery stores. It was especially noticable when they switched to the Euro. It 1994 my wine buying power went nearly twice as far. Cahors used to be 8 francs now it is hard to find one under €3.

You lucky batârd. In the U.S., even at the current grotesque exchange rate, you couldn't even buy a bottle of wine for €3, much less stomach what was in the bottle if you could, and most stuff under $10 tastes like household cleanser.

Indeed, one of the great delights of French vacations is the good quality of the cheap wine. This summer, in addition to getting my Christmas shopping done during a trip to France, I'm thinking of getting all my wine drinking done as well -- drinking good Southern pinks and reds 24/7 for three weeks and then just staying sober for the rest of the year. I could save thousands....

More seriously, though, the French winegrowers are facing a shakout comparable to what U.S. farmers faced during the 80s. At the same time, the EU is reducing subsidies and all the world's wine regions are overproducing and French wine consumption is down.

When you're dealing with a commodity like wine that is easily transported and substituted, it doesn't take much overproduction to send prices down. The growers have been told to produce less, but better wine, in hopes of lifting prices, and pulling up the vines is part of that effort.

One interesting aside: The derided Gallo brand "Red Bicyclette" (shouldn't it be either "Bicyclette Rouge" or "Red Bicycle"?) is produced in cooperation with growers in Languedoc (Herault, I think) and -- whatever you think of it over here, is considered a great success over there.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The switch to the euro has raised prices in France across all products, interesting really. The real power is in Frankfurt now...

As far as wine is concerned, I know darn well that one can find great wines in the Americas, especially Cabernets. But, check out the depth of 95+ Bordeaux vintages over the last twenty-five years, the over-all quality of French wines has never been better.

You lucky batârd.  In the U.S., even at the current grotesque exchange rate, you couldn't even buy a bottle of wine for €3, much less stomach what was in the bottle if you could, and most stuff under $10 tastes like household cleanser. 

Why do you think I moved to Europe? With cheap wine and Cuban cigars, I can't think of a place closer to heaven!

Now if we could just work on the price of gasoline!

PS: In Italy, grappa starts at €4.50 a bottle! :raz: