• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rialto Restaurant in New York CIty on Elizabeth St

dcvdickens

I am trying to arrange a dinner for 3 people and we want to eat outside in a garden. There have been, on other websites, many positive comments about The Rialto on Elizabeth Street but only for parties of 10-20. I wonder if it is just as "great" for a small group, or if a small group will end up having a horrible time because they're seated next to all these parties of 20 who are whooping it up and having their great time.

Also, just by the tone of these very positive reviews, I fear it is "great" in the Perillo Tours/ :huh: Olive Garden sense of great... does anyone know?

thanks, Deb

I am trying to arrange a dinner for 3 people and we want to eat outside in a garden.  There have been, on other websites, many positive comments about The Rialto on Elizabeth Street but only for parties of 10-20.  I wonder if it is just as "great" for a small group, or if a small group will end up having a horrible time because they're seated next to all these parties of 20 who are whooping it up and having their great time.

Also, just by the tone of these very positive reviews, I fear it is "great" in the Perillo Tours/ :huh: Olive Garden sense of great...  does anyone know?

thanks, Deb

Wow! I haven't thought of Rialto in a few years. I used to frequent it in the late 90's as it had reliably good food in a comfortable setting in a cool neighborhood. I don't remember the food as being radical, more as well-executed mediterranean-ish comfort food (lots of fish, calamari, big portions). The vibe was cool, certainly not a big group place back then, and it had outdoor-under-a-tent seating. I don't know what it has been like in the past few years, but if it is remotely as it was, you should have absolutely no fear of a little Italy nightmare. It was more a cool NOLITA crusader vibe. But if it has become a destination for large groups, well, you might want to consider other spots.

Another spot in that neighboorhood worth checking out is Le Jardin (classic French, with a, uh, jardin).

Knowledge is good.

<<Another spot in that neighboorhood worth checking out is Le Jardin (classic French, with a, uh, jardin).>>

Thank you OPJK - a very comprehensive reply! I will check out Le Jardin - also I Trulli was recommended... merci et grazie.

As of a few months ago, Le Jardin struck me as being pretty bad.

There's a thread relating to it somewhere on the eG New York board.

Yes, and I found it very easily via the Search button near the upper righthand corner of the screen (search term: Jardin; titles only, New York forum only):

Le Jardin Bistro, Still worth a visit?

Michael aka "Pan"