• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift Certificate Etiquette

oneidaone

O.K. so I have a question for all of you worldly folks. I know what to do when I pay with one, but here's the thing.

I gave a G.C. to a friend who just graduated from high school, this individual is quite knowledgeable,

mannered etc. I gave an amount large enough ($75.00) that should cover appetizers, soda or whatever, who knows even virgin cocktails, entrees and dessert. I came at the price since I eat

there often and am familiar with the prices and knowing they don't drink, if they were of age I would have made it at least $100.00. So the point of this is, what would be a good way to let him

know that the tip is not part of the amount given? I know he will be treated very well as mgmt. knows he is my guest for the night. Should I tell him directly to leave at (least) 20% for his food,

if he doesn't make the full amount he should still tip whatever in cash in my opinion. What about

yours? Should I bring the subject up with his mom and she can go over it with him? Frankly, I don't

know that his Mom is aware of G.C./tipping protocol. My whole desire was to have this person

enjoy a really fine meal/experience. I think I need to solidify my way to let him know of this

other aspect which will also be a good life lesson. Any advice? Thanks in advance! A hui hou :unsure:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

To be perfectly safe, I would either hand him an envelope with cash for the tip or else stop by the restaurant and give the host or whoever the money. Probably the envelope thing is easier and it does set him an example to be sure and tip.

i'm confused...the 75 bucks is enough for the meal, but not to cover the tip?

Will he know the dollar amount you've put down? or is it a "one meal" type g.c

tell him that! (If he's a real friend)

It's nice to know how much to expect to spend at a spot before you go, especially if a g.c doesn't cover it.

say something along the lines of;

"the g.c should be enough for dinner and maybe a drink at blah blah place, but you may have to throw down (young talk) the tip."

How much he tips is his business. If you're afraid of him embarassing you at a restaurant you love, or are loved by..he can't. He's not you. It'll be fine. :wink:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

If your whole point was to give a gift, I don't think a tipping lesson is in order!

I agree with Chris. You're not going to tell them what they should order either. A gift is a gift and once given it's not yours anymore.

Nice gift btw. Lucky friend.

A.

Thanks for all the great advice/comments. The certificate actually has the amount. The more

I think about it the more things will work out just fine as they are, but I appreciate any and all

comments! I just don't remember seeing something similar before, maybe everyone else is

already in the know! a hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

If your whole point was to give a gift, I don't think a tipping lesson is in order!

I also agree with this. If he's big enough to go to the restaurant all by himself, he's big enough to know to tip. He'll see the bill with no tip included and will probably figure it out....