• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whole foods opening in west orange?

Originally I had heard it would be by the end of the year, but from the look of things, I'm not counting on it! I can't wait; the Montclair store is too congested.

Within the past week, I noticed a banner on the fence stating that they will be opening this fall. I didn't get close enough to see if they poured the floor yet. There is still no front on the building.

Marie

NJDuchess

Now I know where not to shop when I want lobster.  :angry:

I just read two different news articles about this (Whole Foods ban on live lobsters). Is there a discussion thread on eG about this yet? Rachel? Jason?

I'm ready to sound off about this ... I can only imagine what Tony Bourdain would have to say about this subject, knowing his opinion about the foie gras ban in Chicago ...

I just read two different news articles about this (Whole Foods ban on live lobsters). Is there a discussion thread on eG about this yet? Rachel? Jason?

I'm ready to sound off about this ... I can only imagine what Tony Bourdain would have to say about this subject, knowing his opinion about the foie gras ban in Chicago ...

Really not much of a debate. Whole Foods is free to choose whatever they'd like to keep in their sales inventory. A private establishment choosing not to sell live Lobster is quite different from a city ordinance banning the sale of said product.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Really not much of a debate.  Whole Foods is free to choose whatever they'd like to keep in their sales inventory.  A private establishment choosing not to sell live Lobster is quite different from a city ordinance banning the sale of said product.

That may be the technical analysis, but some might say that Whole Foods and other food distributors can set trends in motion that cause ripple effects throughout our culture. Personally, I often equate Whole Foods with establishing the organic food craze we see everywhere today (even at Walmart). So its not out of the realm to say if Whole Foods decides as policy to not sell live lobsters that that decision may be considered by other watchful competitors and food resalers.

I object to Whole Foods selling Fresh produce. Forcing their customers to kill their own fruits and veggies goes against my sensibilities. I am relieved to know they will be nurturing the roaches and rats that live there... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Wh$le F$$ds doesn't get a dime of my $$$

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I object to Whole Foods selling Fresh produce.  Forcing their customers to kill their own fruits and veggies goes against my sensibilities.  I am relieved to know they will be nurturing the roaches and rats that live there...  :hmmm:

presumably they kill roaches and mice, as they are unhealthy and spread disease and other nasties.

whole foods isn't taking a stance against killing lobsters, or even how they're killed. they're taking a stance against the treatment of live lobsters as they feel it is inhumane to store lobsters in the way that they are stored throughout the supply chain (which only ends with them, and then the consumer). Whole Foods has no control over how the supply chain operates, so they can do nothing to change that other than to not be a part of it.

punishing a company for taking the moral high road. that's good stuff. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

presumably they kill roaches and mice, as they are unhealthy and spread disease and other nasties. 

I won't patronize an establishment that would bring harm to cute, fuzzy, warm vermin.

=Mark

[whole foods isn't taking a stance against killing lobsters, or even how they're killed. they're taking a stance against the treatment of live lobsters as they feel it is inhumane to store lobsters in the way that they are stored throughout the supply chain (which only ends with them, and then the consumer). Whole Foods has no control over how the supply chain operates, so they can do nothing to change that other than to not be a part of it.

punishing a company for taking the moral high road. that's good stuff. :laugh:

I heard that Whole Foods stopped carrying lobster because they're converting into a Kosher chain. :unsure:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

[whole foods isn't taking a stance against killing lobsters, or even how they're killed.  they're taking a stance against the treatment of live lobsters as they feel it is inhumane to store lobsters in the way that they are stored

News Flash: Lobsters aren't human.

=Mark

I was wondering if anyone has heard the latest when

whole foods will open in west orange.

A few weeks ago I asked one of the other WF managers when ...and he replied October...the WF Web site doesn't list an opening date...but it is going to be about 55,000 square feet....WOW!! :rolleyes: