• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey Jelly

Chezkaren

I make this yummy honey jelly and have been for years. Mainly for personal friends but I'm investigating taking to another level. I've got what I think are great flavors -- cranberry, raspberry, lemon, mango, and apricot. This jelly gets all of its sweetness from the honey and whatever flavor I use -- no added sugar.

Anyway...now to my brain freeze: I want to make new batch as guest favors for my upcoming wedding and I'd like it to be something truly unique. Maybe its just that I've got brain overload with all the other wedding details but, for the life of me, I can't think any more. I mean there's the obvious -- strawberry, peach, etc. -- but I'd like to do some type of duo flavor combination instead.

If it helps you do the thinking for me the wedding will be outside, in August, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Karen

I make this yummy honey jelly and have been for years.  Mainly for personal friends but I'm investigating taking to another level.  I've got what I think are great flavors -- cranberry, raspberry, lemon, mango, and apricot.  This jelly gets all of its sweetness from the honey and whatever flavor I use -- no added sugar.

Anyway...now to my brain freeze:  I want to make new batch as guest favors for my upcoming wedding and I'd like it to be something truly unique.  Maybe its just that I've got brain overload with all the other wedding details but, for the life of me, I can't think any more.  I mean there's the obvious -- strawberry, peach, etc. -- but I'd like to do some type of duo flavor combination instead. 

If it helps you do the thinking for me the wedding will be outside, in August, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  Karen

Strawberry-rose, raspberry-rose, pomagranate-rose. I'm thinking rose as you can see. Fits with the wedding theme I think.

Googled Blue Ridge Mountains indigenous fruit and got this interesting page:

Clammy Groundcherry: Physalis heterophylla. Grows in Southwest Virginia/ Blueridge mountains.

_lyhtykoiso.jpg

If it's anything like the physalis with which I am familiar, and it looks it, then its sharpness should complement well the honey.

I'm definitely going to have to check out the local supply of clammy groundcherry when I go up again next month! I'm thinking that if I choose this route, I might omit "clammy" from the label!!!!

I also like the idea of the pomegranite rose. That one would be easy enough for me to experiment with!!!

Chezkaren, would you be so kind as to add your recipe to the recipegullet? I've never heard of honey jelly, and it sounds like something really cool to try.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Certainly....but i have to check the components first. It would suck if the first time I post a recipe I screw it up! Will let everyone know when I've done it.

Passion fruit........looks like I'm going to have to make up a few batches now.

I too make lemon honey jelly---how about the addition of ginger, I've not done it, but have often thought about it. :wink:

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

I like it when Alma's caramel sauce has just enough habanero in it to give just a slight warming sensation to the mouth but not enough to be spicey or hot. It's a nice little sensual touch and would go well with many fruits.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

If not rose - lavendar, absolutely.

Or perhaps something like star anise or a blend of sweet spices like cinnamon and nutmeg (and a little lemon)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

What about Lemon and Thyme. Ok, I know it sounds weird. But I had a lemon and thyme gelato recently, and thought the combination tasted amazing. Strange, but delicious.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

A second for lavendar (and cheers for someone else who spells it with a terminal 'a')

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

A second for lavendar (and cheers for someone else who spells it with a terminal 'a')

Yeah, but I just checked the OED and am obliged to advise that we are both terminally incorrect. I hope it pays to be humble. Send the money in.

The OED also gives this as one of its supporting quotations:

1751 HILL Hist. Mat. Med. 424 Lavender has at all times been famous as a cephalic, nervous, and uterine medicine.

Sound like an ideal ingredient for a wedding.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday