• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peaches

Varmint

Waiting, waiting for this recipe. It sounds so good, I'm already anticipating it as breakfast for the rest of the summer! Please don't forget. Ta.  

I try. =)

For the recipe below, numbers in parentheses refer to notes below.

As promised:

Peach and Cantaloupe Soup

1 c. fresh squeezed orange juice, plus 1 c. additional for ice cube garnish

1 c. buttermilk, plus 1 c. additional for ice cube garnish

4 large ripe peaches (1)

1 large ripe cantaloupe

1 T. fresh squeezed lime juice

2 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice (2)

1. One day to 6 hours in advance, pour 1 c. of orange juice into the cups of a mini muffin tin or round ice "cube" tray, filling the cups no more than 1/4 full. Make another set of ice cubes with 1 c. buttermilk. Freeze solid.

2. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the peaches and let simmer for 30 seconds. Drain and set the peaches aside to cool.

3. Slice the cantaloupe into quarters, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Cut out the fruit, chop it coarsely, and place it in the work bowl of a food processor or blender.

4. Peel the peaches and chop them. Add to the cantaloupe in the food processor. Process in short pulses to blend.

5. Add the remaining orange juice, lemon and lime juices to the fruit mixture, and process again until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the buttermilk. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

6. To serve, fill each serving bowl with soup, then add 1 juice cube and 1 buttermilk cube to each bowl. Serve right away.

Serves 6.

Notes:

(1) I HIGHLY recommend making the soup with white peaches. These peaches add an extra level of flavor and sweetness to the finished product.

(2) If you substitute Meyer lemons, you can cut out the lime juice, and increase the amount of lemon juice by 1 or 2 extra T.

SA

Grilled peaches and grilled sausage links are also delightful

Actually I did a grilled peach+grilled sausage dish for my wife one time.

Grilled Peaches, Grilled Sausage, Red onion, (Blueberry) Vinaigrette dressing.

IMO, I could've made it into a full blown salad. I think it has a nice combination of meaty sausage and the fresh fruit flavour, with a nice light vinaigrette giving the whole dish a gentle acidic note.

Wow, what great ideas! I'm going to print this thread....

BTW the reason that peaches have such an affinity with almonds is that they're closely related. In fact, when you a peach pit open, there's an almond inside. It's a bitter almond and has amazing flavor. It also has a little cyanide, so you should only eat it cooked. Ever since reading an old recipe, I always use the bitter almonds in my pies and cobblers -- gives an extra kick!

And recently I made a Jean George recipe using sour cherries where he the pits and simmers them with syrup, so, cherries, also being a stone fruit, also have that flavor.

In fact, when you    a peach pit open, there's an almond inside. It's a bitter almond and has amazing flavor. It also has a little cyanide, so you should only eat it cooked.

Now why does that make me think of "Arsenic and Old Lace"? :unsure:

Soba Addict, thanks so much for the recipe (which is printing out at this very moment). Do you think a batch of that could be frozen and thawed and still be good?

Waiting, waiting for this recipe. It sounds so good, I'm already anticipating it as breakfast for the rest of the summer! Please don't forget. Ta.  

Peach and Cantaloupe Soup

I served a cold cherry & cantaloupe soup for years. Served it in the cantaloupe half-shells. Great presentation as first course for a summer meal.

I think this would be spectacular served that way.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out. I will be making this right away.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for all the great posts. I've frozen some, made some peach preserves, and am ready to try many of the ideas suggested here. Strange thing, though -- just when I thought I was going to be sick of them, I sliced up three peaches for breakfast this morning. I guess I won't be getting tired of them soon!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cakewalk -- probably not. I've never made it that way, although you could try. It certainly wouldn't be as fresh tasting as freshly made.

When I've made this in the past, I've sometimes dispensed with the buttermilk/oj ice cubes and sprinkled each serving with some finely diced peaches, a chiffonade of mint, and a few drops of mint simple syrup. Let me know if you can come up with anything else.

SA