• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

Mwahahhaaa!

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

I can't take credit for the idea. Chocolot posted about it not far upthread. But I was so taken by the idea, and had family visiting for the week, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I think the colors turned out well, even though they're just cheap cake store powdered stuff. And so shiny!. I gave the box in the picture to my husband to take to his work on Monday. HE claims that he thought that there needed to be either a creamy layer or thicker shell to balance with the raspberry. But he likes the flavor of white chocolate much more than I do. I actually had to make a second batch so that the family could get more than 1 each.

I do love that tray with the slider. I'll have to print out those pictures! I only make candy for us, really, so volume isn't very high. I like that yours is adjustable. My rulers are thick and heavy, though, since they're solid stainless. I haven't had any leakage problems yet. But they are kind of a pain to arrange, and make the corners true, etc.

Those colors did come out well! So far I haven't dont any coloring on molded chocolates, but I do have some red powder, which was like $1.50 at the candy supply place, and the oil-based color was about $11. Those are some nice colors for powders, I'm encouraged, I wasnt sure how it would come out.

I received my Fuji gun and finally tried it out yesterday. I love it!! I have a lot to learn about controlling it, but it is wonderful. I don't have atomized cocoa butter all over the room (I do have some splatter on the cabinets, but it will wipe off). I bought some shower curtain liners for next time:-) It is much quieter than a compressor--about like a vacuum cleaner. All the molds came out great.

On the yellow ones, what looks like white is actually glare.

IMG_0799.jpeg

Edited by Chocolot (log)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Hey, very nice work. Personally, I dont think those transfer sheets are all that bad, I think the horizontal lines look rather sharp. And I would think that dark chocolate would go better with the molasses caramel rather then the milk, given the deep flavors there. Where did you get the molasses caramel recipe? Nice dipping btw.

Made another batch of Palanquetas (Mexico)/ Chikki (Indian) / Nut brittle yesterday, only this time in the more Indian style with cardamom and pistachios added to the mixture of nuts and seeds. What puts this brittle apart from the regular North American variety is the sugar; jaggery (Indian) or piloncillo or panela (Mexican). (But then most of you probably already knew that: it's new to me.)

Incredible and wicked.

And best of all, Monday I found Panela in my very own area, Peterpatch. First time ever. We have a 'new' chain in town, FreshCo and they are suddenly carrying more stuff than I have ever seen in this small provincial city. No more hoarding of Panela from far-away places!!! :smile::wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Minas, I can't speak for Willow, but the molasses caramel recipe I use is easily googled.

Look up 'chocolate molasses chews' and look for a blog called the hungry mouse (if I remember right).

Those are a big hit around here, too. Especially with dark chocolate.

Willow, your chocolates look lovely. I know you're going dark chocolate, but I like the piped design.

I seriously have to find some Jaggery or panela.

Found the Chocolate Molasses Chews and they seem just the thing to make this weekend when a young friend comes to visit. (Not THAT young...in her 40s) The fact that they keep for a month is a telling point.

Also just recalled that the jaggery/panela sugar is called Rapadura in Brazil and the peanut brittle is Pé-de-moleque. Fascinating. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here's something for you, then - certain grades of blonde block panela in Ecuador are called Raspadura, which, according to Miguel the Azucero, is because they're so hard that you have to use a metal rasp to break them down. Raspadura is considered to be the ideal panela for use in baking.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Hey Mina, Viktoria is right, I also used the "Chocolate Molasses Chews" from the hungry mouse blog. It was super easy to make, as long as you have a proper candy thermometer or can go by sight. I used a small digital one at first but after dropping it in the mix I gave up and just went by sight.

Viktoria thanks for the compliment on the milk chocolate piping...I will probably pipe a design on the dark chocolate ones in milk chocolate, just haven't decided what yet. And I need to work on my piping skills again, or for that matter, making parchment cones properly :raz:

I'll update later once I get the finished product finalized to show you all what I've come up with!

Here's something for you, then - certain grades of blonde block panela in Ecuador are called Raspadura, which, according to Miguel the Azucero, is because they're so hard that you have to use a metal rasp to break them down. Raspadura is considered to be the ideal panela for use in baking.

Thought I must have misspelled the word and then looked both up and found not only is it rapadura and raspadur, but also 'raspada' and'rasgadura'. And, no doubt, a dozen other things.

Thanks, PanaCan.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Busy afternoon. Everything I could lay my hands on got dipped in bittersweet chocolate: Indian brittle, Ecuadorian brittle and a bunch of peanut butter balls which had to be double-dipped. Left the ginger for another day...running out of dipping energy. Lovely. Lots of goodies to give away now.

Some of the production:

P9100001_01.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

everything looks delicious!

Major problem here. Quickly. Package it all up and tie ribbons around the boxes!!!

How do you manage not to eat any/all/some of your gorgeous production?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Found the Chocolate Molasses Chews and they seem just the thing to make this weekend when a young friend comes to visit. (Not THAT young...in her 40s) The fact that they keep for a month is a telling point.

Chocolate Molasses Chews. Made them. Forgot to take a photo until they were all packed up. Lovely and easy to make. Easy to dip. Topped each one with a single almond sliver and they looked very elegant.

Wondering about putting some heat into them...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made caramels yesterday with the thought that I would give some to friends and family for thanksgiving. O.M.G. I can't stop eating them, and will have to make another (bigger) batch if I want to give more than 12 pieces away :laugh:

1/2 c lyle's golden syrup

1 c sugar

1 c cream

seeds from 1/2 a vanilla bean

2 TB butter

2 TB navan vanilla liqueur

1 tsp salt

I made caramels yesterday with the thought that I would give some to friends and family for thanksgiving. O.M.G. I can't stop eating them, and will have to make another (bigger) batch if I want to give more than 12 pieces away :laugh:

1 c sugar

1 c cream

2 TB butter

1 tsp salt

Biggest problem making confections!!! Not the sugar, not the butter, not the mixture, nor the heat, nor anything like that. It's the insatiable mouth of the confectioner. :raz: Been there, Done that. Etc.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 c sugar

1 c cream

2 TB butter

1 tsp salt

Those sound heavenly, and I just recently picked up some golden syrup! I'll have to give these a shot!