• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

So what did I learn - I need to get some rubber stencil sheets that only have 3 or 4 rows of holes closer together.  ...

Kerry, did you ever find a source for the stencil/templates like we used in class?

I have a large one with round holes, and the same size with squarish holes. Got them from Qzina. I'm going to look for the smaller ones at the PMCA in a couple of weeks. I suspect Tomric has them, and I'll bet they are made by PCB.

So what did I learn - I need to get some rubber stencil sheets that only have 3 or 4 rows of holes closer together.  ...

Kerry, did you ever find a source for the stencil/templates like we used in class?

I have a large one with round holes, and the same size with squarish holes. Got them from Qzina. I'm going to look for the smaller ones at the PMCA in a couple of weeks. I suspect Tomric has them, and I'll bet they are made by PCB.

Thanks, Kerry!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks, Kerry!

Check out Tomric's site, confectionary utensils and supplies - supplies. They have a variety of rubber mats, but you can't tell shape from their description.

Thanks, Kerry!

Check out Tomric's site, confectionary utensils and supplies - supplies. They have a variety of rubber mats, but you can't tell shape from their description.

Yeah, I found that. I just emailed them to ask what the dimensions are and if they have varying sizes since their web site doesn't really provide, you know... information!

Also discovered that Chef Rubber carries what I'm looking for in varying thicknesses from 1mm to 2.5mm. Do you know how thick the ones were that we used at school?

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I think the ones we used at school were closer to two or three millimeters thick. The one I got from ChefRubber is exactly one millimeter, which I think is a touch too thin. I like the size of circles I have though, they are 28 millimeters or just over an inch in diameter. I'd like to get some ovals as well. I can't decide if mine are French or American sized though... :wink:

I think the ones we used at school were closer to two or three millimeters thick.  The one I got from ChefRubber is exactly one millimeter, which I think is a touch too thin.  I like the size of circles I have though, they are 28 millimeters or just over an inch in diameter.  I'd like to get some ovals as well.  I can't decide if mine are French or American sized though... :wink:

Thanks, Alana. That's what I was guesstimating. I will try to get ones thicker than 1mm.

John DePaula
--------------------

John - for what its worth, the "stencils" we used at Savour were referred to as Chablon mats. I did a quick Google but couldn't find a retailer on the Net (I bought mine direct from the school).

John - for what its worth, the "stencils" we used at Savour were referred to as Chablon mats. I did a quick Google but couldn't find a retailer on the Net (I bought mine direct from the school).

Thanks, gap. I didn't see a source either, but I'll keep looking.

John DePaula
--------------------

I'm not Kerry, but you can soak them in the super-saturated sugar syrup the way she did (all piled up) and after you drain the centers, you separate them and allow them to dry individually.

Exactly as Alana says, it's great to be able to pile them up like that. Speeds up the process considerably. It does mean that they have to be firm enough to do that.

Well, after following this thread for ages, and re-reading the chocolates with a showroom finish thread, I finally dove in. I had bought a couple of moulds from Chocolat Chocolat here in Canada, cocoa butter from Chef Rubber, and was ready to start to play.

I chose the frog mould to start with, since I've seen such great results in this thread, but I wanted to do frogs with a twist.

I didn't have much luck my first time around. My chocolate wasn't in temper, so I got toads, not frogs!

My second batch turned out beautifully!

gallery_13151_4442_24423.jpg

But for the twist... I decided to fill my frogs with gooey soft caramel. RED gooey soft caramel!

Here's a toad I split open

gallery_13151_4442_6097.jpg

Almost everyone that I've shown them to has been quite disgusted, but I think they worked out very well!

Well, after following this thread for ages, and re-reading the chocolates with a showroom finish thread, I finally dove in.  I had bought a couple of moulds from Chocolat Chocolat here in Canada, cocoa butter from Chef Rubber, and was ready to start to play.

I chose the frog mould to start with, since I've seen such great results in this thread, but I wanted to do frogs with a twist.

I didn't have much luck my first time around.  My chocolate wasn't in temper, so I got toads, not frogs!

My second batch turned out beautifully!

gallery_13151_4442_24423.jpg

But for the twist...  I decided to fill my frogs with gooey soft caramel.  RED gooey soft caramel!

Here's a toad I split open

gallery_13151_4442_6097.jpg

Almost everyone that I've shown them to has been quite disgusted, but I think they worked out very well!

Great looking frogs!!! What sort of colouring are you using? It's wonderfully intense.

Great looking frogs!!!  What sort of colouring are you using?  It's wonderfully intense.

I just used the Wilton no taste red gel colour added to the caramel as it was nearing it's final temperature (after I'd added the cream).

and the exterior? it looks like chefrubber jewel cocoa butter...did you spray the entire interior of the mold after making the yellow spots and stripes?

they look great! i can see how someone might be disgusted, but the outsides are totally cute.

. . .

But for the twist...  I decided to fill my frogs with gooey soft caramel.  RED gooey soft caramel!

. . .

I know a bunch of 7 and 8-year-olds who would think that these were absolutely the neatest thing ever. :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

. . .

I know a bunch of 7 and 8-year-olds who would think that these were absolutely the neatest thing ever. :shock:

I think they are the neatest thing ever, and I'm way past that age. I think maybe I have too many little cousins.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

and the exterior? it looks like chefrubber jewel cocoa butter...did you spray the entire interior of the mold after making the yellow spots and stripes?

You're right - it's a thin layer of clear cocoa butter, then all the colour is in the chefrubber jewel cocoa butter. The spots / stripes are the yellow topaz, and then two layers of green (green crystal). I backed everything up with a layer of the white from the artisan colours, just to make sure that the colours popped. I've had some bad luck in the past with the coloured cocoa butters getting lost against the chocolate, but I don't know if that was really necessary this time around.

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush (yet!), so I used a paintbrush to paint the cocoa butter onto the molds.

I know a bunch of 7 and 8-year-olds who would think that these were absolutely the neatest thing ever. 
I think they are the neatest thing ever, and I'm way past that age. I think maybe I have too many little cousins.

Thanks! I seem to be getting either one of two reactions, that they're really neat or really disturbing, but I like them.

HeatherM, I do have a question for your regarding flavor. With all those layers of cocoa butter and colored cocoa butter, does any of that come across when you eat the chocolates? I know that colored and jeweled cocoa butters (and actually cocoa butter itself) don't really smell all that great and I can't imagine eating a mouthful of the stuff on its own. Since you couldn't get a super thin layer (you painted rather than airbrushed) did you notice this when tasting? Just curious.

HeatherM, I do have a question for your regarding flavor.  With all those layers of cocoa butter and colored cocoa butter, does any of that come across when you eat the chocolates?  I know that colored and jeweled cocoa butters (and actually cocoa butter itself) don't really smell all that great and I can't imagine eating a mouthful of the stuff on its own.  Since you couldn't get a super thin layer (you painted rather than airbrushed) did you notice this when tasting?  Just curious.

I haven't tried any of the frogs yet - they're for this weekend, but I did try a couple of the "toads" which aren't as nice looking. I really didn't notice the cocoa butter flavour on those, but I'll let you know what the consensus is about the frogs. I used a fairly strongly flavoured chocolate (cacao barry Cuba single origin), so that may help in overpowering the cocoa butter.

I think the ones we used at school were closer to two or three millimeters thick.  The one I got from ChefRubber is exactly one millimeter, which I think is a touch too thin.  I like the size of circles I have though, they are 28 millimeters or just over an inch in diameter.  I'd like to get some ovals as well.  I can't decide if mine are French or American sized though... :wink:

Thanks, Alana. That's what I was guesstimating. I will try to get ones thicker than 1mm.

I got my stencils yesterday. I bought two kinds: 1mm squares and 2.5mm circles. The latter is exactly what we used at school, though the mat is larger i.e. more cavities. Can't wait to try them out.

John DePaula
--------------------

gallery_34671_3115_5817.jpg

One of the nurses in emerg is having a shower this week and asked me to make a couple of dozen chocolates for the event. Her only requirement was that they should have some pink and green on them to fit with the colour theme of the shower.

I got to choose the filling. I was intending to make ginger and lemon centers, however discovered I was lacking both the lemon puree and freeze dried lemon. I did have some calamansi puree and some powdered calamansi drink mix. so they ended up ginger and calamansi. Quite delicious. The attempt to paint the mold with the flowers just using quick strokes resulted in a rather sad looking effect, but they will get eaten for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of days ago I tryed the sleeping beauties for Greweling book ( spellin?)

And they didnt came out at all , probably something went wrong along the way becuase I made nougat before and mars bar and I never had a problem.Anyhow I had some liquor filled shells that cristallized too much and I kept them to something late , so I mixed the mess of sleeping beauty and the shells plus brown sugar some butter and corn syrup , getting the idea from Wybauw book for the black devils, of reusing pralines or production discards.So i made my version of black devils and they came out very very nice , chocolate caramel that tastes like chocolate cake caramels.I cook the caramel to 248 to a nice firm chew.From now on I know what to do with left over of bad experiments.

Vanessa