• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

I had an attachment made for the enrober that splits the stream of chocolate. That way I can run the biscotti down the middle and only half gets enrobed.

5:38 shows the attachment.

Thanks Darienne, Diana, and rajoress. The windmill mold is Chocolate World mold 1100. I purchased it from Tomric for those in Canda, Chocolat-Chocolat also carries it.

I based the raspberry ganache off of a recipe from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University book. It turned out rather well, still waiting to see if the flavor lasts for two to three weeks or if it fades.

I'd love to try the raspberry ganache too. Does it use puree?

I'm in the market for some molds, and all of yours look very nice. Could you also post the numbers for the fluted one and the swirl?

http://www.soulhealing.com/choco2.htm#Chocolate%20Raspberry%20Jam%20Truffles Truffles by Hank Friedman. I can't speak to any of the recipes except the one for the Raspberry truffles. Raspberry is my go to flavor and I love the ganache this man makes. It couldn't be any more raspberryish. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had an attachment made for the enrober that splits the stream of chocolate. That way I can run the biscotti down the middle and only half gets enrobed.

5:38 shows the attachment.

I watched just a couple of minutes of the video. Sweet. Oh, so sweet. Lucky you. But then if anyone ever deserved an enrober, it's got to be you.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Darienne, Diana, and rajoress. The windmill mold is Chocolate World mold 1100. I purchased it from Tomric for those in Canda, Chocolat-Chocolat also carries it.

I based the raspberry ganache off of a recipe from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University book. It turned out rather well, still waiting to see if the flavor lasts for two to three weeks or if it fades.

I'd love to try the raspberry ganache too. Does it use puree?

I'm in the market for some molds, and all of yours look very nice. Could you also post the numbers for the fluted one and the swirl?

Mesnier's raspberry ganache recipe uses puree and jam.

The fluted mould is Chocolate World 1336 and the swirl mould is Chocolate World 1140. You might also want to check out Martellato's moulds, they have a USA storefront now.

the video was really fun to watch, thanks Kerry! Rather amazing- and a dream come true! Bottom enrobing looked a bit messy as did truffles-at least it would be for me. I guess practice makes perfect!! How will folks decorate the cookies?

Yeah, they really made bottom enrobing look terrible in that video - other videos make it look better. I had the machine shop make me a bottomer too - just haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

The fluted mould is Chocolate World 1336 and the swirl mould is Chocolate World 1140. You might also want to check out Martellato's moulds, they have a USA storefront now.

Thanks Donna. I like Chocolate World molds (1000 series) because they are small enough to fit in my hand. Three cavities across works much better for me than four.

Somehow came across a recipe for Salame de Chocolate (Portuguese) and made it. Yum.

Then looked to to see how it was made in other countries and found a recipe I liked better by Canadian Foodie. http://www.acanadian...ocolate-salami/ Used rum for the liquor. I'd never heard of this confection before and had no idea of how popular it was.

Next turned to my current flavor obsessions: lime, Tequila, Grand Marnier, etc, and looked for a lime cookie, one which would supply the needed lime juice to the Margarita chocolate log concept. http://www.howtoeata...a-stewarts.html OK. Made the cookies. Then subbed Tequila and Cointreau for the prescribed liquor and added extra lime zest for good luck. Used a lower percentage cacao chocolate, 60%, and yes, it was delicious. Neighbors liked it too.

Hmmm....I love raspberry... Also what could I use for a handy mold instead of trying to get a perfectly round salame shape?

Forgot: subbed peanuts for the prescribed varieties and doubled the amount. I googled Margarita and nuts and found the answer seemed always to be peanuts...which I don't usually care for in candy...but which was absolutely correct.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Somehow came across a recipe for Salame de Chocolate (Portuguese) and made it. Yum.

Then looked to to see how it was made in other countries and found a recipe I liked better by Canadian Foodie. http://www.acanadian...ocolate-salami/ Used rum for the liquor. I'd never heard of this confection before and had no idea of how popular it was.

Next turned to my current flavor obsessions: lime, Tequila, Grand Marnier, etc, and looked for a lime cookie, one which would supply the needed lime juice to the Margarita chocolate log concept. http://www.howtoeata...a-stewarts.html OK. Made the cookies. Then subbed Tequila and Cointreau for the prescribed liquor and added extra lime zest for good luck. Used a lower percentage cacao chocolate, 60%, and yes, it was delicious. Neighbors liked it too.

Hmmm....I love raspberry... Also what could I use for a handy mold instead of trying to get a perfectly round salame shape?

Forgot: subbed peanuts for the prescribed varieties and doubled the amount. I googled Margarita and nuts and found the answer seemed always to be peanuts...which I don't usually care for in candy...but which was absolutely correct.

DianaM made something like this for me last week!.

Great topic and even better pics of people's projects - love seeing what others are up to! Makes me want to diversify even more though...!

One project I've been working on for 2012 (been a work in progress as a big move this year!) I'm now in the testing stage, just finished my first round of recipes and designs. I've decided to do an origins range (called "Chocoddity") which is more an experience than just a normal collection. I include in the box a mini-tasting bar that is made from a single origin chocolate which is paired with a unusual flavour combination ganache. The idea is the person eats the chocolate bar, getting through the unique flavours from the origin chocolate, then the ganache and picking out the pairing of the chocolate with the flavours.

So from left to right I've done:

- Peach & Rosemary - Dominican Republic 70%

- Pink Peppercorn Praline Crunch - southern Colombia 65%

- Spiced Orange & Olive Oil - Peru Single Plantation 65%

- Sea-salted caramel & Chilli - Northern Colombia 85%

- Coffee (Jamaican S.O.) & Pistachio (Antep, Turkey) - Ghana 40% Milk

- Strawberry & Jasmine - Papua New Guinea 33% Milk

origin_range.jpg

Just awaiting the rest of the tasting questionnaires to come back!

TCD

Ooh, I love that concept!

TCD, how hard is it for you to source Ecuadorian 'Arriba' cacao in the UK? If you can get your hands on a bit, I'd highly encourage you to try it in your next set of Gran Cru/ganache pairings; 'Arriba' cacao is unique to my country and has some very interesting flavours going for it.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Hello. This is my first post - so please be kind :blush: . I've been following Egullet for a couple of years - yet never got round to joining until recently.

I've been playing quite a lot with chocolate in recent weeks and following the showroom finish post. I'm keen to start playing with coloured chocolate - but a little wary of jumping in with an airbrush straight away. I've bought Grewelling's book and William Curley's and look forward to having a play.

The Choc Doc - those look marvellous. I love the way you highlighted one of the squares in the mini bar with another colour. Did you paint the coloured cocoa butter into the mould ?

RobertM - cute idea with the JackoLanterns :-)

Panaderie - Thanks for your comments - I have tried Arriba and it is very good - I can source some of those origin beans certainly in milk and I think in dark too. Ecuador is on next year's origins collection I hope to do! :)

sunshine-supernova - thanks! :) Yep, I painted a square on the mini-bar mould with a colour, let it set then add the tempered choc as usual. Was in a hurry with most of them as this is development so not all were as neat as they could be (esp the sea-salted chili caramel moulded ganache!!).

TCD

Hello. This is my first post - so please be kind :blush: . I've been following Egullet for a couple of years - yet never got round to joining until recently.

I've been playing quite a lot with chocolate in recent weeks and following the showroom finish post. I'm keen to start playing with coloured chocolate - but a little wary of jumping in with an airbrush straight away. I've bought Grewelling's book and William Curley's and look forward to having a play.

Hello sunshinesupernova and welcome to the gang. You'll have to begin posting some photos of your work. Trust me, these eGulleters will be kind and appreciative of your efforts.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.