• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

Hey thanks guys!

Heres another one I just got done with, its the almond dragée from Chocolates and Confections. It was easy enough to make, I like the rustic look of these, next to try these puppies with espresso beans!

I really like that almond dragée recipe though I tend to spice the nuts with chili and salt. Yours look wonderful minas6907.

Some things I've been playing with, Red Wine; a chili infused piece I call Fire and Ice; Guinness and a version of a Hella (from Wyabau) image.jpg

Bob, those chocolates look great! Think you have another batch that should be highlighted in the showroom finish thread.

I really like that almond dragée recipe though I tend to spice the nuts with chili and salt. Yours look wonderful minas6907.

Hey thanks. Do you add the chili and salt to the syrup?

I add multiple coats of spice mix. First layer is sprinkled on the sugar coated almonds (before the sugar cools completely). Additional sprinklings of spice mix are added when you are adding coats of chocolate to the almonds. When you are happy with the flavor, stop adding layers of spice. :smile:

@Curls - Thank you Donna - I got two new molds at the Candy Show and wanted to try them out - I kind of like the Fire and Ice, but it needs more FIRE...

@Koen - Thank you for the lovely compliment - I'm not trying to be modest, but I do think many who post here have far more talent -

Hello all,

First post, although I have to say I've been lurking for probably 5 years! :wub:

Here are some peppermint patties I made for the Jewish new year! The mint fondant is from Greweling's

"at home" book which is one of the recipes I make most out of that book -very easy and always works! I'm constantly trying to be better at hand enrobing, I almost have these without the feet. :-)

Thanks for looking at my humble chocolates - the pics on here amaze me!

Ruth

peppermint patties.jpg

Nice cake, I'm loving the sheep!

There was some discussion a few pages back about cottage law, I was just informed it recently passed in California, so that may open up some possibilities for individuals. Me personally, I'd love to do something with various sugar confections, not ready just yet to jump into chocolate.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml

That cake and all the figures are awesome!

Some gianduja ganache filled chocolate cups - the best compliment was when one of the guests was trying to peel the paper off the cup - there was no paper - cup made by brushing semi-sweet chocolate onto the paper cups then peeling them off. I love doing that but I haven't quite got the knack of a thinner bottom and fatter sides so I get some breakage at the top...! Thanks for looking!

Ruth

Nice cake, I'm loving the sheep!

There was some discussion a few pages back about cottage law, I was just informed it recently passed in California, so that may open up some possibilities for individuals. Me personally, I'd love to do something with various sugar confections, not ready just yet to jump into chocolate.

http://leginfo.legis...tusClient.xhtml

Unfortunately the cottage law that just recently passed in Washington does not extend to chocolate at this time. I contacted the woman who did most of the leg work to get the law passed and she said that they were initially hesitant to add chocolate to the list because it's not baked, and so for the time being the only things allowed for home prep are baked goods that are shelf stable after being baked. She said that hopefully by next year they will extend the law and add chocolates to the list. Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

BTW, the Northwest Chocolate Festival is being held in Seattle this weekend, anyone attending? I'm hoping my work schedule will work out that I will be able to!

I just got done making the Peanut Butter Honey Comb candies from Grewelings book, they came out so nice! I'm very surprised I havent done these earlier. You pretty much make a hard candy base that contains molasses, hence the golden color, cool it down (which was sorta fun in itself since the candy gets the addition of baking soda, making it very foamy) Pull it, wrap the peanut butter filling in the larger portion of candy to make a tube, and carefully stretch it out and fold back onto itself, so you get peanut butter carefully encased in a hard candy. After that, take another portion of the candy, make a jacket around that log, and pull and cut.

The texture is absolutely wonderful, much nicer then I was expecting. On the outside you get a bite because of the thin candy jacket, but the inside has perfect crunch, sort of like a butter finger, but a littler finer. My next project will be the Leaf Croquant, which I feel much more comfortable doing after trying this one.

Peanut Butter Honey Comb  Candy.jpg

minas6907, beautiful peanut butter honey combs! I have been eyeing that recipe for awhile... how long did they take you to make?

I made some more chocolates this weekend: raspberry ganache - fluted top, brown sugar salted caramel - swirl, coffee ganache - windmill, chocolate nougat - rectangle.

IMG_6613 - September2012Box - small.jpg

Edited by curls (log)

I made some more chocolates this weekend: raspberry ganache - fluted top, brown sugar salted caramel - swirl, coffee ganache - windmill, chocolate nougat - rectangle.

Donna, those look beautiful! The windmill mold is adorable! :wub:

How do you make your raspberry ganache?

Thanks Darienne, Diana, and rajoress. The windmill mold is Chocolate World mold 1100. I purchased it from Tomric for those in Canda, Chocolat-Chocolat also carries it.

I based the raspberry ganache off of a recipe from Roland Mesnier's Dessert University book. It turned out rather well, still waiting to see if the flavor lasts for two to three weeks or if it fades.

I have been eyeing that recipe for awhile... how long did they take you to make?

Hey Thanks, glad you liked them. It took probably an hour and a half total. If your familiar with doing pulled sugar, its no biggie. Just make sure your have a way of keeping the sugar warm, I use an oven set to 225f, though I think I may get a few more heat lamps (one heat lamp doesnt keep it warm enough) so I dont have to do the oven thing. Its pretty easy encasing the peanut butter mixture and pulling it over and over with out it coming out, then you just wrap that log in a jacket and start pulling. Its fun, I'd definitely make it again, and especially after making so much pulled hard candy, the butterfinger like crunch is very appealing.

No pictures sadly - but last night I enrobed about 600 oreos and half enrobed about 350 biscotti. Luxury Chocolate Show is coming up in Toronto at the beginning of November and we will be having people decorate these. We'll also give demo of some sort - still in the planning stages.

No pictures sadly - but last night I enrobed about 600 oreos and half enrobed about 350 biscotti. Luxury Chocolate Show is coming up in Toronto at the beginning of November and we will be having people decorate these. We'll also give demo of some sort - still in the planning stages.

So... is it possible to half enrobe with your enrober or did you half enrobe the biscotti by hand?