• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! (2006-2012)

Kerry Beal

About how large are the sugar pieces going to be, or will they just vary wildly? Tiny dragons, bumble bees, bunnys, small fawns, fauns for the fairies, pan pipes,Celtic harps... More ideas?

ETA: questions

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Obviously there's a red maple leaf - one of the fairies will be wearing it by way of a dress! The sizes of the pieces will vary wildly - I have mushrooms not much bigger than my first thumb knuckle, and the dragon (the largest piece by weight at the moment) is just shy of 3" tall - in the scale of this little world I'm creating, he's about as big as a standing fairy - a smaller nymph could ride him but to a larger one he's like a big dog.

I love the idea of fauns and massive big bumblebees, and all manner of other bugs as well - with the kind of gloss I'm getting out of the gum arabic wash, scarab beetles would be really spiffy, and we get some real jewel-toned ones down here.

My mushroom photos aren't coming out that well this morning - I'll take some later on the whitecloth. However, the fairy is lookin' good!

GreenFairy-sm.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

And here's the second of four dragons (blue is for water; green is for earth. The next two will be red for fire, which will have wings, and rainbow for air, also with wings.)

I hope you are being well paid for this extravaganza. Wonderful little figures, PanaCan.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The decoration charge is only slightly less than the charge for the cake itself. The whole schmoo will come in just under 1G.

Today is for insects!

I look forward to seeing the little critters. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

gallery_44494_2818_28708.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_25777.jpg

These are my creation for the fall, and I think I am going to be making alot of them this coming weekend , a crazy lady ordered a ton of them ( dont they relize I do everything by hand blink.gifwacko.gif ?? laugh.gif )

wow! Amazing! will you teach me!!?? I'm just getting started and all of the coloring is beautiful!

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

Strawberry Rhubarb PDF. I realized when I went digging through my stuff that I had brought a big bag of the evil apple pectin - the kind that is for jam, not PDF - so this caused a big of a crisis. I did however have some Pectin NH and some Pectin X58. A little research led me to believe they might work - so I used a 50/50 mix of the two of them in an amount equal to the apple pectin called for in the recipe. I wasn't sure that it was going well (cause one of the recipes called for stopping at 102ºC and I was heading for 107ºC) the entire cooking time. But they turned out perfectly - and they are pretty darn yummy!

that laser thermometer look like ebay one i just bought? cost me £10 :)

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

Strawberry Rhubarb PDF. I realized when I went digging through my stuff that I had brought a big bag of the evil apple pectin - the kind that is for jam, not PDF - so this caused a big of a crisis. I did however have some Pectin NH and some Pectin X58. A little research led me to believe they might work - so I used a 50/50 mix of the two of them in an amount equal to the apple pectin called for in the recipe. I wasn't sure that it was going well (cause one of the recipes called for stopping at 102ºC and I was heading for 107ºC) the entire cooking time. But they turned out perfectly - and they are pretty darn yummy!

that laser thermometer look like ebay one i just bought? cost me £10 :)

Canadian Tire - on sale this week for $39.99. I think the cheapest I've ever got them was $29.99.

Lior, now you've made me consider whether or not I can get away with a little donkey-headed fairy..... Oberon and Titania were always going to be on the cake, but I'd completely forgotten about Bottom!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Lior, now you've made me consider whether or not I can get away with a little donkey-headed fairy..... Oberon and Titania were always going to be on the cake, but I'd completely forgotten about Bottom!

Pana Can, Bottom is tops! How can you forget him?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"